This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Political activist, humanitarian, and leader are just a few words to describe Cecilia Herrera. This goal getting third year sat down with HC to tell us a little bit about an organization that is very near to her heart: USEU (Unión Salvadoreña de Estudiantes Universitarios) the Salvadoran University Student Union. This is one of the many student organizations that is doing big things here at UCLA.

Her Campus: Tell us a little bit about your organization.
Cecilia Herrera:It’s the first Salvadorean student run org in the us. It was formed when some students went to El Salvador. Meeting the youth over there  at the public university inspired them to maintain our history and identity. It died out in El Salvador but it bloomed in California. It started at Cal State LA in 2007 and here at UCLA in 2008. There are 11 chapters in California currently.

HC: How did you get involved?
CH: I had originally gotten a scholarship through SALEF (Salvadoran American Leadership and Education Fund) and one of the girls that had the same scholarship was involved in the organization. I had never heard of a Salvadoran student union before, especially not one that is politically based like this one. I’m extremely interested in political issues and social justice so when I found this organization I felt that I had finally found a space where I could relate to others on a cultural and political level.

HC: What is your role in the organization?
CH: I’m the statewide representative for the UCLA chapter. We have the central coordinating committee which is comprised of all the statewide representatives. We have skype meetings every week to keep track of our chapters as well as other Latin American political issues and other social justice issues.

HC: What is USEU currently working on?
CH: Right now our next project is our statewide retreat at UC Santa Cruz coming up later this month. We’re also working on the statewide conference in April at Cal State LA open to members and non members. We’re currently working to pass the Domestic Workers bill and spreading awareness for temporary protection status which provides immigrants residency without citizenship, so we’re currently raising awareness for more people to apply for this.

HC: What’s been your biggest accomplishment with USEU?
CH: I was in charge of organizing our college fair here at UCLA. We invited inner city students to the university to show them that it is possible for minorities to succeed at the university level. It’s hard sometimes when you’re stuck in that bubble to imagine yourself going to university. Our goal was to inspire them to be their best and If I at least touched one student, I did my job. I feel that it’s my duty to pass on the knowledge I’ve gained here and it would be selfish to keep everything I’ve learned to myself .

HC: Why do you think cultural groups like this are so important?
CH: I think it’s important because I feel that sometimes people lose touch with their cultural and ethnic identities and sometimes you don’t have that space where you can talk to others about it. For me personally, my parents never really shared their cultural history and through this group I’ve gotten a new social awareness and it motivates me to continue to pursue what my parents fought for by coming to this country.

HC: Who can get involved in your group?
CH: Anyone is welcome, even though the word Salvadoran is in our name, any one that is willing to learn more about our political and social awareness is invited. We have a very diverse group and would love for others to join the cause.

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.