Campus Cutie Priyanka Vigneswaran

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet this week’s Campus Cutie senior Priyanka Vigneswaran, Priyanka has taken UCLA by storm! She is a Communication major, a part of UCLA radio, a member of Sigma Eta Pi, has her own Youtube channel and you can catch her taking the official photographs for this years Dance Marathon!

When did you start making YouTube videos?

I started making YouTube videos January of last year but since then I have not been making a lot because I have been busy with school and other extracurricular activities. However during the summer I was able to work with Bobbi Brown Cosmetics’ YouTube channel which such a huge learning experiences for me. I was able to see how the big leagues produce their digital content and all the time, money and work that goes into making their videos. I was able to work with huge youtubers like Superwoman and get advice on how to be a successful youtuber, which was invaluable information for me.

What kind of videos do you make?

I primarily like to focus on makeup and fashion videos. However I also enjoy bringing along my camera to interesting places and vlogging my experiences. I really don’t like limiting myself with the content that I make. I always have new ideas for what I want to create and enjoy experimenting with new concepts.

What is the most difficult part about the process?

Actually sitting down and pressing record. A lot of times I have long lists of video ideas but I don’t find time to film and edit.  Most people think that making a YouTube video is a quick and easy process.  However, it takes a lot of pre-production planning and post-production editing.  A video has to have a flow to it and a lot of work goes into everything flowing naturally.

What advice do you have to those who are interested in making videos?

Don’t psyche yourself out over what other people may think of your videos. If you are proud of your videos and your ideas then you should put them out there with confidence. Once you let others get into your head you stifle your talent and potential. As cliché as it sounds believing in yourself and your talents will take you far.

How did Flare Photography start out?

I was pledging for an entrepreneurship fraternity and one of the projects we were given was to create a start up using only $50 and we would eventually have to pay back that money back. Two of my friends and I decided to pool our talents and create a student run photography business. My friend Samantha is an amazing artist, photographer and hairstylist so me and her do the photography and my friend Arman is a talented web designer and coordinator so he runs customer service for our business. We all are good friends so it makes working with them a lot of fun. I think of it as more of a hobby than a job.

Why did you choose UCLA?

Since I was a little kid I have always dreamed of going to a top tier university. My dream school was always UCLA. After not getting in after high school I decided that I would do anything I could to get it in knowing that their communication department was highly competitive. After a lot of hard work and late nights I got into all of the schools I applied but I knew in the end it would always be UCLA. I feel that UCLA has all of the resources I need to grow personally and intellectually. And living in the city of entertainment offers a lot of opportunities for me since I want to get into production and the entertainment industry. I love the LA and there is so much to do and explore. I would not have it any other way.

What do you enjoy most about either flare or making YouTube videos?

I really enjoy the interactions that spark from having these forums to express my creativity. Through flare I am able to see peoples faces light up when they are pleased with how their photos turned out and through YouTube I am able to interact with people across the web that have similar interests to mine. Overall I enjoy being able to use my talents to connect with others and hopefully influence others in a positive way. 

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.