Campus Cutie: Emma Finn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Name: Emma Finn

Year: First

Major: Perspective Environmental Science

Hometown: Alameda, California

What are you involved with on campus?
I’m involved with a hip hop dance group called Samahang Modern, one of many large hip hop groups on campus. I also work at Kerckhoff Coffee House (the best coffee house on campus). I am currently training for UniCamp, which provides low-income LA youth a chance to play in the woods.

What are some differences about UCLA and your hometown?
There’s a lot more international students at UCLA and professional famous people, if that’s the right word. People at UCLA are a lot more curious I guess I’d say, academically, and I’ve found that a lot of people are open to talking about new ideas and new things that I don’t really talk about with people from my hometown because people in my hometown are already settled down, like parents and friends. UCLA is an academic space so, as a college campus, it’s literally like a world of inspiring conversation.   

What’s your favorite place on campus and why?
I’ve yet to find my perfect study spot. But I do love the botanical gardens. I love strolling through because it’s pretty and I like nature a lot and there’s not a lot of nature in LA. So it’s the one place I can breathe fresh air-ish. I also love spots on campus where you have a view of either downtown LA or visa-versa of the entire campus. 

Why do you like environmental science and what do you hope to do as a career?
I have no idea what I want to do as my career but I’m interested in environmental science because I believe studying something where you can make a change or see change happen with something I’m personally passionate about is cool. I’m also very interested in politics and social advocacy but it depresses me so much to see how hard it is to change things, or how stagnant current policies are. I feel environmental science is the way to put my passion to effective work. 

What are you passionate about?
I’m passionate about inter-racial dynamics in society and inequalities that we take for granted, that most people do at least. I’m also passionate about human waste consumption and energy consumption in the world. I have a love for the art of food and cooking. Like this one time I made a sweet and savory pizza with ricotta cheese, there was arugula and fresh nectarines from my local farmers market with balsamic drizzle, and my friends who tried it were skeptical at first of the flavors but thoroughly enjoyed it in the end. 

Who are some of your idols?
My mom is my biggest idol because she always follows her heart and though has imperfections, she always knows what’s right and does what’s right. That’s a really big question, that’s hard to answer. Theres so many great people but everyone’s human and no one’s perfect. 

Photo courtesy of Emma Finn. 

Lindsay was the president/editor-in-chief of the UCLA chapter of Her Campus from 2015-2018. She was previously the Viral Section Editor at Her Campus and an Editorial Intern at the headquarters in Boston. Lindsay grew up in Washington state and transitioned to love the Southern California sunshine while studying communications and environmental science at UCLA. Twitter: @WeinbergLindsay.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.