Campus Celebrity: Morgan Hood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Meet Morgan, a dance and sociology major here at UCLA! Come hear her thoughts on the worst misconceptions about dancers, the awesome opportunities she’s had dancing at UCLA, and all of the cool quirks that make her this week’s Campus Celebrity!

Name: Morgan Hood

Year: 3

Major: Dance/Sociology

Hometown: Amador County, CA

What’s your earliest dance memory?

My earliest dance memory was sitting at the studio when I was three years old watching my sister take tap. From that moment I knew I wanted to be just like her and began tapping a year later.

When did you realize dance was more than just a hobby?

I realized dance was more than just a hobby around the age of eight when I had taken ballet for two years. My instructors noticed a natural ability and love for moving. With their encouragement, dance became an integral part of my life. I could not go a day without feeling the joy that I felt while dancing.

What is your least favorite thing about being a dance major?

My least favorite thing about being a dance major is the stigma that people associate with it. Many times people assume I am a dancer because I wanted to be in an “easy major” or was not intelligent enough to major in biology or mathematics. This major is not on any way easy. It is physically, intellectually, and emotionally exhausting, but I cannot imagine college any other way.

What is the coolest opportunity being a dance major at UCLA?

The coolest opportunity being a dance major is working with the faculty and MFA students. They are all working artists who are actively creating work in the dance community, so it is very exciting to collaborate with these amazing minds and make their visions come to life on stage.

What do you think is the biggest misconception about dancers?

The biggest misconception about dancers is that they are less intelligent or hard working. Our dance studies include academic research of dances from around the world and how they are integrated into or reflective of their culture. We deconstruct movement and critically analyze how movement can be a method for communication. My fellow dance majors and I are hybrids of academia and athletics who are studying to influence positive change in the world through the body.

How has dance impacted other aspects of your life?

Dance is integral in every aspect of my life because it is a way of life. From my relationships with people to my view on social issues, dance has shaped my understanding of the world, people, and cultures.

What do you know now as a dancer that you wish you could tell your younger self?

So many things! The main advice that I would give to my younger dancer self would be to not dance like anyone but myself. I grew up in the ballet world thinking that there was only one correct way to dance or present movement. What I now know is that dance takes fearlessness, especially when failure is an option.

Where do you want to be in five years?

I am unsure what the future will hold for me, but in five years I hope to be a part of a dance company that travels globally. I plan to attend graduate school in the future and continue teaching dance at schools and studios.

Okay, rapid fire!

Favorite food? Ravioli.

Least favorite food? Bananas.

Favorite movie? Secret Life of Walter Mitty.

Favorite style of dance? Contemporary Ballet.

Your go-to karaoke song? “Where is the Love?”

If you could trade lives with anyone, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would it be? Jennifer Anniston for sure!

Victoria is a Nor-Cal transplant and fourth-year Biochemistry major at UCLA. She hopes to one day have marble kitchen countertops, own the perfect slouchy sweater, and be the kind of doctor who handpicks ornaments when she decorates her office for Christmas. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.