Campus Celebrity: Kim K.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Major?

I am planning to major in psychology and minor in global studies.

What made you choose this major?

I took my very first AP Psychology class in high school, and I fell in love with that class! There is honestly not a single topic that would bore me in psychology. I love learning the biology aspects of psychology like the brain firing neurotransmitters and how it affects us physiologically to studying social, human interactions and just reading about famous past experiments such as the Zimbardo’s Prison Experiment. Learning about psychology is just like learning more about myself and those around me. I love how applicable it is. (P.S I highly encourage people to take Professor Stanton’s Psychology 150 class)

What are you planning on doing after graduating from UCLA?

As of right now, after graduating UCLA, I want to travel around Europe with my best friend for 3 weeks. Even though I am only a sophomore, we’ve already made plans on where we should visit and how long we would stay. That’s one thing that I look forward to after graduation! But I also plan on attending Law School, but I’m already terrified about taking the LSAT and getting the letters of rec… But after law school, I plan on going back to Malaysia and live their because that’s where I grew up and all my family is still there. Another plan that I have in the back of my mind is to work for the UN.

What activities are you involved in on and off campus?

On campus, I am involved with a Panhellenic sorority on campus called Delta Delta Delta. I also am involved with an organization called Justice Corps, where I help self represented litigants who visit the Stanley Mosk Courthouse in Downtown, LA. In addition, I recently applied and got accepted to VITA, which stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. I am still undergoing training right now, so I haven’t officially started my service. But VITA trains undergrads on knowledge about filing tax and tax laws. After successfully completing training, we will be helping low- income members and their family to complete and file their taxes. Last but not least, I also have a job on campus. I work at the Southern Regional Library. People usually don’t know where that is but it’s a library located on the hill. It’s actually right behind Saxon and Hitch suites!

What is the Justice Corps and what do you do for the organization?

Long story short, Justice Corps recruits undergrads from UCLA, USC, CSUN and other SoCal school to participate in this program. After getting accepted into the program, we undergo about sixty hours of training and have to complete 300 hours of service by the end of the academic school year. Honestly, Justice Corps is the BEST experience/ organization that I’ve gotten involved in at UCLA. I applied to Justice Corps to see if I was interested in law and for the experience. One of the many things that I love about this internship is that you get to work with litigants one- on- one. You directly help them when they are filing a divorce, trying to establish paternity, and requesting custody for their child. I look forward to volunteering there every week because I love helping the litigants. You meet and learn how to communicate with an array of people! Justice Corps’ motto is “helping others help themselves find justice.” It is really a rewarding when you help a litigant complete a child custody form because even though it is not a guaranteed that the parent will get the child back, but you are at least giving them a chance. Another thing that I love about Justice Corps is the people that I work with. A lot of the interns are first generation college students. They have such passion and strong work ethic that it inspires me to work harder for my goals and dreams.

Any advice, whether it be pertaining to academics or life in general, would you like to give to our readers?

I don’t have any advice, but there are two mottos that I live by. 1. “If you think you suck at something, you are not the worst. If you think you are good at something, you are not the best.” 2. “Find something that you love so you’ll never have to work a day in your life.” This is for all of those people who are trying to find/ declare into a major or finding an internship/ job.

From Mississippi to California! Freshman at UCLA :) Class of 2017! Go Bruins! Writer at Her Campus UCLA, member of Tri Delta!
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.