Campus Celebrity: Darren Ramalho

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

By Katie Takakjian

Meet HerCampus UCLA’s Campus Celebrity: USAC Academic Affairs Commissioner Darren Ramalho!

Name: Darren Ramalho

Major: English and Political Science

Year: Senior

Hometown: Coalinga, CA

What made you decide to come to UCLA?

I walked onto campus, and it felt right. When you come to UCLA, it’s easy to identify the camaraderie and unity centered around Bruin Pride and the determination to pursue excellence. We also have a beautiful campus in one of the most diversified cities in the world. It’s hard to turn an opportunity like attending UCLA down.

What’s your favorite Bruin memory?

This is definitely hard to answer. I’m torn between beating USC in our football game last year and winning my USAC election. At the game, it was raining and we were drenched and definitely sick afterwards, but it was so worth it. Winning my election, surrounded by my capmpaign team, running mates, and great friends is a memory I will never forget.

What inspired you to get so involved with USAC?

I had served as student body president two years in high school, and coming to UCLA and seeing all of the incredible work student government does in terms of advocacy and programming, I knew I wanted to get involved and help bring lasting, tangible change to our campus.

As Academic Affairs Commissioner, what do you hope to accomplish this year for the Bruins?

The Academic Affairs Commissioner represents the student voice on all matters of education policy and academic affairs. This year I plan to address the need for increased student accessibility to campus administration, the way online education will impact the UCLA academic experience, and the issue of transfer retention through a series of workshops addressing issues including enrollment, professional development, and tutoring services. I also plan to increase student accessibility to academic counseling, academic appointments, and advocacy for a diversity requirement that includes faculty, student, and administrative input. We will also continue addressing academic wellness through stress free days and Academic Inequity Awareness Week.

What is a typical day like for you at UCLA?

They’re super busy. I’m taking four classes this quarter to graduate on time. I also work for the Office of Undergraduate Admissions as a student coordinator for the Bruin Ambassador Program. I serve on leadership in Campus Crusade for Crusade, which also takes some time during the week. I’m also constantly attending meetings with administration, faculty, and directors in my commission to ensure AAC is working to address academic needs for all students. My days are usually roughly 12-14 hour days, but I always find an hour a day to be alone and de-stress, whether it’s running in the gym, reading my Bible, or watching a TV show on Netflix. I’m a firm believer in finding time to better yourself.

What is your favorite…?

Food: Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo

Activity: Chai with a friend!

Book: Jane Eyre

Movie/TV show: Friends

Place on campus: Kerckhoff Patio

City: Prague, Czech Republic

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.