Bruin Day Sees UCLA Admissions Rates Drop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On Saturday morning, thousands of high school seniors, along with their parents, siblings, and other family members swarmed onto campus for UCLA’s Bruin Day. Designed to give prospective students a look at what their lives might be like on UCLA’s campus, Bruin Day provides a wealth of resources for these students.

Much of the undergraduate student population has been recruited to help in some way. Whether it’s hosting a new student in their dormitory, giving tours of the campus, or just helping out in the dining halls, UCLA Bruins are helping to usher in a new freshman class.

However, it isn’t just any group of high schoolers who have come flooding into Westwood on this beautiful April day. With college acceptance rates dropping all over the country, UCLA has had to become even more selective about which students it admits.

Over 15,000 students received letters of acceptance from the UCLA Office of Admissions, which may sound like a large number at first. However, when once considers that over 86,500 prospective freshmen applied for admission.

This means that UCLA’s admission rate has now dropped yet again. Only 18.2% of student applicants were able to count themselves amongst the lucky ones who can hope to be Bruins come this Fall.

This is only the fourth annual Bruin Day that UCLA has hosted, but it has already become an expansive event in the past few years. High school seniors can take a tour, attend a seminar, or hear academic deans speak.

For a full list of events at Bruin Day, click here: http://www.bruinday.ucla.edu/schedule

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.