Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

UCLA Blog

The Freshman Lady's Guide to Navigating Her First Year

By Christine Holland
October 17, 2014 - 7:41pm

Welcome new Lady Bruins! I want to start by saying congratulations on getting into one of the most prestigious universities in the world! (I’m not biased, I swear) You are beginning one of the most exciting chapters of your life where you will get the chance to meet new friends from all over the world, learn more about who you are, and make memories you will cherish for the rest of your life. By now you already have a few weeks of college under your belt, and you may be surprised to find that it is not exactly what you expected it to be. You may be wondering if you’re the only one who feels like she doesn’t know what she’s doing. But guess what? You are not alone at all. Many of your peers feel the same exact way....

Fall Florals

By Elena Guevara
October 16, 2014 - 4:44pm

Florals. We see them everywhere during spring and summer but come fall, they suddenly disappear and are replaced with flannel and fur. Don't hide those prints, reinvent them! Florals in fall can be something fun to experiment with. They can totally be worn during those colder months, just be cautious to choose the right print size and color scheme. What do I mean, you ask? Well, try to avoid big blossoming floral prints in honeysuckle  pink and tangerine orange becasue that screams spring. Instead, try going with darker hues, like a sapphire blue, rustic orange, or a simple grey. Here are three outfit inspirations to help you transition those floral pieces to fall. READ MORE

Rising Stars in Summer Music

By Elizabeth Zhang
May 25, 2014 - 2:08am

Summer is a time of late nights, beach hangouts, laughter, and sunshine. Summer is also a time where music is really emphasized. Whether it is being blasted from the rooftops, your car, or your laptop, music helps create special summertime memories that last a lifetime. This year, there are many up-and-coming music stars that are already rocking the summer music scene. Here are just some of my favorite rising stars that will surely create a bomb summer playlist:  Tove Lo: READ MORE

Preparing for Finals

By Aslin Osmara Paxtor
May 24, 2014 - 6:05pm

With finals only two weeks away it is time to up our academic game and begin those study marathons. Avoiding all nighter cramming sessions, here are ways in order to prepare you to do your best on your final with a positive mind.   1. Set a time to study every night Cramming everything into the last few days or night before your final can be a major headache! If you give yourself to learn a lecture or reading a day, you are surely to absorb more information! 2. Attend office hours READ MORE

Protect Your Skin!

By samahpirzada
May 3, 2014 - 8:39pm

Image credits to: readytotransform.com and burkewilliamsspa.com My walk to class this past week was brutal! The heat had me dying on BruinWalk and stopping at every water fountain I could find. The increase in temperature means we are all busting out our summer clothes and dying to get down to the beach. But before we do, it's important to remember that protecting our skin is incredibly important and often overlooked. Here are a few tips on how to save your skin from the sun's harmful rays: READ MORE

Eat Your Greens: Kale

By Kelly Cheuk Ying Ho
April 27, 2014 - 11:43pm

Picture Credits: http://thechiclife.com/ I confess, I didn’t even know what kale was until a few years ago, when a family friend introduced it as a “superfood”. What was all that hype about, that celebrities like Heidi Klum and Jennifer Aniston raved on and on about it to the media? So, I decided to do a little bit of research myself, and it is just as they say—the benefits of kale have exceeded my expectations. READ MORE

Lattes and Lemonade: Noteworthy Los Angeles Eateries

By Brittany Cowden
April 26, 2014 - 2:48pm

With warmer weather and the sounds of summer as semester schools finish up, finding the motivation to studying for those never ending midterms can seem like a daunting task. Find your motivation to study, while simultaneously enjoying sweet, refreshing treats and exploring cute, trendy L.A. neighborhoods. Coral Tree Cafe  (Brentwood, Los Angeles CA)      READ MORE

9 Signs You Have Found Your Best Friend and Sister

By Anisha Banda
April 19, 2014 - 9:26pm

Yeah, I know we don’t look alike at all, skeptical waiter at restaurant…but we’re sisters…and it’s both of our birthdays. Just accept it and don’t ask questions! 1.       There is no such thing as too needy   2.       They tell you everything that’s happening in their favorite TV show, even if you don’t watch it (1851project.com)   READ MORE

Earth Day 2014

By Aslin Osmara Paxtor
April 12, 2014 - 8:24pm

Earth Day is right around the corner and is the day we love, celebrate, and appreciate our Mother Earth. While the offical Earth Day is on April 22, it is important to be aware of Earth's resources everyday of the year, and how we as a planet use them. Here are some tips to participate in Earth Day and hopefully adapt these habits as an everyday thing! Take shorter showers Use fluorescent light bulbs Turn off all lights and unplug connectors from the wall Don’t use lights until necessary Assort recycling apart from trash (garbage landfills will reduce!) Do not print for your homework unless it is necessary    READ MORE

Avinoam Baral: What you should know about UCLA USAC Chief of Staff to IVP

By Brittany Cowden
April 11, 2014 - 12:38am

Avinoam Baral is one of those people who makes UCLA the incredible place it is. The current Chief of Staff to the USAC Internal Vice President, an active member of PAC, Vice President of the Jewish Student Union and an active member of Peer Health Exchange, Avi seems to be everywhere doing just about everything. A motivational leader on campus he seems to fit it all in, while simultaneously making time for all the fun things that make college so great. So who exactly is Avi and what should you know about our current Chief of Staff?         READ MORE