The 87th Academy Awards aka the Oscars: Nominees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

On January 15, 2015, the nominations for the Academy Awards were released. Tonight, we will finally get to see the best of the best from each category take home an Oscar as well as special performances that will take place throughout the ceremony. Additionally, the Academy Awards will be hosted by a first-timer. Want a hint? He starred in the critically acclaimed series How I Met Your Mother. If you guessed Neil Patrick Harris, I’d say you guessed right! This was annouced in October 2014 and now we will see Harris’s host skills tested.

Now that Oscar’s have come, let’s see who are nominees are. Here’s a fun, yet incredible, fun fact everyone should know: Birdman and The Grand Budapest Hotel are tied for the most nominations, each film holding nine, which does not fall far from The Imitation Game, nominated for eight Oscars. Those nominated alongside these movies are Michael Keaton for Best Actor and Kiera Knightly for Best Supporting Actress. Interestingly enough, no actress or actor was nominated for The Grand Budapest Hotel. It was, however, nominated for awards such as Best Directing, Best Original Screenplay, and Best Cinematography.

As for the rest of the nominations, Meryl Streep was nomiated also for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film Into the Woods. Other nominations include American Sniper for Best Picture, Inherent Vice for Best Adapted Screenplay, and Unbroken for Best Sound Mixing.

To view the entire listing of nominees, check here.

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.