7 Ways to Get Ready for the USC Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

It’s that time of year again. The air is chilly, the leaves are turning gold and the Bruin Bear is hibernating. Rivalry week, or more commonly known as Beat ‘SC Week, is upon us. It’s the week in which all UCLA students rally together to cheer on their football team against the one true evil in the world: U$C. Whether it’s your first year here or your last, here are some fun ways to get ready for the big game.

1. Brush up on rivalry history

Two powerful football teams. Only 15 miles separating them. Of course there’s going to be strong rivalry brewing, culminating in a range of ridiculous pranks. Gallons of blue paint, manure and even welding tools have been used against Tommy Trojan USC’s mascot. That’s not to say Trojans haven’t retaliated which brings us to point #2.

2. Write on the Bruin Bear’s enclosure

During Rivalry week, the Bruin Bear goes into hibernation to keep him safe from the tackiest color combination of red and yellow that the Trojans try to decorate him in. Get into the school spirit by writing a word or two of encouragement on the chalkboard-like walls.

3. Get the Red Out

Donate a red article of clothing and get a beautiful blue shirt instead courtesy of Student Alumni Association of UCLA. The first 400 students to donate a piece of red clothing will get a limited-edition Beat ’SC T-shirt on November 24th in Wilson Plaza.

4. Buy Bruin gear

If you miss out on getting a Beat ‘SC shirt, you can always buy UCLA themed clothes in either Ackerman or in stores down in Westwood for a discounted price. Show off your school spirit by dressing in blue and gold from head to toe!

5. Have a poster making party

Invite floor mates and friends for a fun evening. Make witty posters with sayings such as, “My favorite team is UCLA and whoever is going against USC” and “You can’t spell SUCKS without USC” or for simplicity’s sake, “U$C” will do just fine.

6. Go to the Beat ‘SC bonfire

A long held tradition at UCLA, the Beat ‘SC bonfire is an event where students gather to cheer the football team to victory. The event includes performances from many student groups including NSU modern and Yukai Daiko and culminates by lighting a 30-foot bonfire.

7. Watch the game

Whether you watch it in the stands or in a lounge or your room, you’ll be sure to feel like a True Bruin!

Photographs courtesy of UCLA Student Alumni Association, Flickr and Helen Zapata.

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.