7 Things To Know About The Royal Wedding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

American actress, Meghan Markle, is set to marry Prince Harry of Wales at the Royal Palace in just a couple of weeks! The wedding comes 6 months after word of their engagement came out in November 2017, and we are so excited for this beautiful couple to tie the knot!

1. The royal extravaganza will take place on May 19, 2018 at 7am EST!

Unlike previous royal weddings that usually occur on a weekday, this one will take place on a Saturday. Previous royal weddings have been occasion for a day off work in the UK. However, that will not be the case for Harry and Meaghan as they will wed on a weekend.

2. Instead of asking for traditional wedding presents, the couple insisted people donate to a total of 7 charities.

These charities include the Children’s HIV Association and Crisis, a charity for the homeless in the UK.

3. This royal wedding will be relatively small with only 600 guests!

This is a very small number compared to previous royal weddings, which had up to 2,000 guests in attendance.

4. Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have chosen a lemon elderflower wedding cake for their big day.

According to Fox News, “Ms. Markle previously interviewed Chef Ptak, [chef at the bakery], for her former lifestyle website The Tig.”

5. While Meghan Markle has chosen to uphold some traditions, she has passed on others.

It was very important for the couple that the groom did not see the bride in her wedding dress until the wedding day. However, it was of little importance that Meghan Markle have a maid of honor. According to a palace spokesman, “She has a very close-knit circle of friends and she didn’t want to choose one over another” (People.com).

6. Meghan Markle’s father, Thomas Markle, will meet her daughter’s fiancé for the first time when he’s in town for the wedding!

Markle’s mother will be accompanying her to the venue, while her father will be accompanying her down the aisle. 

7. Meghan Markle has had to deactivate all of her social media accounts and blogs before the royal wedding.

I guess not being able to post a selfie is just the price you have to pay when you’re a royal.

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.