6 Things You Need to Know About ‘The Bachelor’ Arie Luyendyk

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Whether you’re an old and dedicated fan of the Bachelor or you’re just tuning in, get excited because a new season is soon approaching and will be airing this JanuARIE! If you didn’t get that pun, then you obviously have a lot of catching up to do because Arie Luyendyk is our new bachelor! I know what you’re thinking, who the f#@* is that? And no, you are not suffering from memory loss because literally nobody remembers who he is. Ok fine, maybe some people remember who he is, but if you don’t – here are some things you should know:

1. Arie made his first appearance on Season 8 of The Bachelorette

AKA Emily Maynard’s season which premiered over five years ago in May 2012. If you don’t remember Emily, she was the blonde southern mom whose husband died in a tragic plane crash. In the finale, Emily chooses Brad Womack over runner up, Arie Luyendyk – although that didn’t turn out well since she is now married to a man whom she met at her hometown church. Anyways, enough about Emily. She is sooo 5 years ago…

2. He’s a Jr.

As in his father is the actual Arie Luyendyk, who actually happens to be pretty famous. Luyendyk Sr. is a former Dutch auto racer who is best known as “The Flying Dutchman”. During his career, he raced in the Indianapolis 500 several times, winning in both 1990 and 1997. And the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree…

3. Arie is also a professional racecar driver

Luyendyk Jr. has raced in the Indy Lights races, the Indy 500 and the Grand Prix! (Which in case you didn’t know, are some seriously impressive races)! Nowadays, Arie is in the race to find love because…

4. He’s one of the oldest Bachelors!

Arie was born September 18, 1981 making him 36 years old! Better get on it, Arie.

5. Apparently he’s a really good kisser

During Emily’s season, Arie was nicknamed “The Kissing Bandit”, as he was known for being one of the best kissers on the show. He even taught former Bachelor, Sean Lowe, some of his tips and tricks!

6. He’s a cutie

With his baby blue eyes and captivating smile, there’s no way Arie will have any trouble finding love this season. Although, Arie has stated that he still considers Emily his “last-true love” (Aw!), so we are really hoping everything works out this time!

To watch Arie’s race for love continue, tune in for the 22nd season of the Bachelor which will premiere Monday, January 1 at 8/7 central. So ladies and gentlemen, get ready because this will be, as Chris Harrison would (and will) say “the most dramatic season yet”!

Photos Courtesy of: Parade.com, Reality TV World, Playbuzz, People Magazine

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.