5 Ways to Prevent and Treat Sickness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Being sick sucks, there’s no denying that. Now that midterms are upon us, it seems like your roommate, your best friend and everyone in your lectures are coughing and sneezing. Unfortunately most people will get sick, but we’ve got some tips to hopefully prevent you from catching what’s going around or to help you treat it in the best ways.

1.     The Flu Shot

Please go get the flu shot! It really does help. The only reason you shouldn’t get one is if you’ve already gotten it or you are feeling sick already because your immune system is compromised. Otherwise, this is arguably the best preventative measure you can take against getting sick. Ashe is holding flu fairs for free shots – all you need is your bruincard. Here are the dates:

October 15 – Sunset Village

9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

October 22 – Ashe Entrance

9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

October 26 – Bruin Plaza (Bruin Bear)

8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

October 27 – Bruin Plaza (Bruin Bear)

8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

November 5 – Ashe Entrance

9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

November 12 – Sunset Village

9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

November 19 – Ashe Entrance

9 a.m. to 12 p.m.

2.     Vitamin C

Having Vitamin C in your system does wonders for preventing illness. Whether you have Halls Defense supplements or Emergen-C or just some orange juice, it WILL help your immune system out. Your body will be oh so grateful.

3.     Sleep

I know this one can be hard since it is midterm season, but do your best. It can be hard when your friends are going out on Thursday and you have serious FOMO, but if you’re feeling stuffed up and have a midterm on Monday, try to convince yourself to stay in for the night. It doesn’t necessarily mean you have to study all night; you can have fun just watching a movie at home! Just be sure to get your 7 to 8 hours of sleep.

4.     Medication

Sometimes no matter how much you fight, you end up getting sick. Bleh. The world can be annoying in that way. But that doesn’t mean it’s time to let your sickness take over. Go to CVS – or better yet, make your friends go for you – and get some meds to take care of yourself! Don’t forget to get the tissues with lotion so your nose doesn’t chafe too badly.

5.     Tea

It’s a small thing for sure, but it can do wonders. Having a cup or two of tea a day can make your throat feel so much better and relieve your congestion, at least for a little while. Plus, there’s nothing quite like some nice chamomile tea in bed as you fall asleep watching Netflix!

Getting sick is a bummer, especially around exams. Don’t let it take over your life! Prep yourself and give yourself the time and care you need to recover.

Julie is a second-year undergraduate student at UCLA. Her passions include tennis, (watching) ice hockey, eating far too many delicious foods, dancing around like an idiot with her friends, and being overly sassy. She aspires to work in pretty much any realm of sports.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.