5 Stages You’ll Go Through When Getting a New Hair Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you’ve been paying any attention to recent trends, you know about the lob. The lob (long bob) is a popular hairstyle that has been worn by several celebrities including Khloe Kardashian, Margot Robbie and Jennifer Lawrence. Having had long hair for the majority of my life, I wanted a change. And what better way to welcome spring than with a new haircut?

Getting any type of a haircut can be stressful. And while it may be a shock at first, I promise you that after a load of selfies and a couple mental breakdowns, you WILL learn to love your new do. So take it from me – here are the 5 stages you will go through when getting that dramatic new look. 

1. Ok I’m doing this

You’re in your salon chair and you’re super pumped. The first big chunk of hair hits the floor beneath your feet – *gulp*. Still excited though…

2. OMG I love it

Oh my gosh it looks amazing! It’s a totally new you and you cannot wait to show your friends tomorrow in class. You spend the rest of the evening taking countless amounts of selfies.

3. WTF DID I DO

You get in bed and turn off the lights and suddenly your mood quickly changes. Out of nowhere you’re having a mental breakdown and are sobbing quietly in bed, wondering why on earth you thought you needed to cut your luscious locks off in the first place. You wake up the next morning and look into the mirror only to be reminded of the horrible decision you made yesterday. Not only that, but now you have eye bags bigger than Kim Kardashian’s Louis Vuitton. Initiate mental breakdown #2.

4. It’ll grow back

You want to get rid of the eye bags, so you decide against crying for the rest of the day. You take a deep breath and realize that it’s just hair and that it will grow back.

5. Wait, I’m low-key loving this

It’s the weekend, so you finally get to get all dressed up. You do your makeup, put on your heels and post a few selfies. All the sudden your DM’s are blowing up with people complimenting your new look. Not that you needed anyone’s approval in the first place – but a compliment never hurt anyone. Hmm, you think, maybe I do like this new look after all…

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.