5 Simple Ways to Decorate Your Dorm Room – Under 90 Dollars!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Other than grades and maybe a social life, dorm decorating is probably the most important part of the college experience. Okay, you’re totally right – dorm decorating is hands down the most important part of the college experience. But before you go splurging on unnecessarily expensive décor for your new dorm, take a look at this list!

1.     Tapestry – $30

This is the most expensive item on the list, but it’s definitely worth the big bucks. Tapestries are super in right now and the perfect art piece for large, empty walls. They can also double as ground cover for beach days! You can find cute ones on sale at Urban Outfitters, or check Society6.com for a more expensive option.

2.     Twinkly Lights – $28

If you don’t like twinkly lights, you can’t sit with us. But seriously, who doesn’t like twinkly lights? Not only do they add much-needed lighting to the typical dark and dreary dorm room, but they’re also adorable times ten. Added bonus: they act as the perfect nightlight for when your roommate wants to sleep but you’re still up and doing things in the room.  You can get some typical Urban Outfitters lights or, for only three dollars, you can snag some Christmas lights from Target that are basically the same thing.

3.     Decorative Pillows – $15

Decorative pillows are a must. The more pillows you can cram onto that twin extra-long, the better. You need to be able to jump onto that bed at the end of the day and feel like you’re receiving a million hugs from your favorite people. You can find them at Target in a multitude of shapes and colors!   

4.     Succulent Plants – $5

Succulents are a great addition to a dorm room because they don’t take up a lot of room, and they clean the air! Adding a little plant buddy to your room is like adding a new friend into your life. You get to take care of them and love them. The Home Depot offers three succulent plants for only $15!

5.     Photo Clip – $10

Pictures are a great way to personalize a very bland dorm room, and the best way to portray those photos are on photo clips! They come in different lengths and quantities,  but you can always add extra clothespins to add more pictures. These can also be found at Urban Outfitters

Sharni is a first-year Art major with a focus on photography and a love for everything the So-Cal lifestyle has to offer. Her hobbies include playing tennis, exploring, and spending time with her Kappa Kappa Gamma sisters.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.