5 Coachella Essentials You Might Have Missed

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

If you were lucky enough to snag a pass before the scalpers did, you will be embracing the entire Coachella culture this time next week. With artists such as Afrojack, Kings of Leon, Kanye West, Ellie Goulding, and The Black Keys, it’s easy to get carried away adding these and new artists to your iTunes playlist without much regard for the weekend’s actual logistics. Of course we all know the essentials: sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, and deodorant. However, there may be preparations you have overlooked. So while you pack up your weekender bag full of bohemian and eclectic outfits, extra camera supplies, and accessories galore, you might want to consider adding these items to your list.

1. Coachella iPhone App
Since you need an Internet connection to download this app, make sure this is done before you leave! A festival essential, the Coachella app will be a crucial tool if you are prone, as I am, to getting lost or remembering the time and location of the next performance. The app not only has news feeds, artist info, and photo upload, but it also features an interactive map and friend/car finder. Register your friends so you can see their location at the venue and mark your parking or camping spot to prevent any extra wandering.  Last but certainly not least, the “Coachooser” will aid in organizing your own lineup for each day of the festival. Now that’s helpful!

2. Outdoor Shower
Given that most shower lines exceed 2 hours, you may want to borrow a portable shower. Of course you might get away with dry shampoo and a sponge bath for day one, but everyone dancing around you on days two and three will much appreciate a real scrub down. Who knows, maybe you can even share shower privileges with other attendees and make a return on that campsite you overpaid for on eBay.

3. Car Markers
Unless you seriously plan on competing for lifelong Coachella tickets with your cars’ decoration and design, car markers should suffice enough for a “Coachella or Bust” window display. Write your favorite bands, your campsite number, the city you came from, etc. It’s always fun to see everyone’s journey and creative anticipation.

4. A Funny Balloon
This may seem a little odd, but if you don’t have the handy Coachella app at your fingertips, it can be difficult to remember where your campsite is. Solution: a balloon soaring high above the other sites. That way all your have to remember is to look for that random unicorn, princess, or birthday cake floating in the sky.

5. Earplugs
If you’re not planning on partying 24/3, bring earplugs. Some sites are near speakers and some neighbors might not plan on sleeping that night. Although you might be able to fall asleep simply due to exhaustion, earplugs might be helpful if you’re a light sleeper.

Among these things, remember that staying hydrated and staying cool are absolutely imperative. As overwhelming as it becomes figuring out what to do when Laidback Luke and Mumford & Sons are performing at the same time, you wouldn’t want to regret missing day three because you’re too beat. So pack your feather earrings alongside your reusable water bottle and get ready for an unforgettable weekend. Don’t forget to check back at Her Campus for a Coachella recap if you’re planning on living vicariously through all other ticket holders. Have fun everybody!

Pictures:
http://smartersocialmedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/coachella-app.jpg
http://curbiehancock.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Coachella-car.jpg
http://www.sleepearmuffs.com/images/ear-plugs.jpg

Madeline Hunt is a senior at UCLA majoring in Communication Studies with a minor in Spanish. Originally from the laidback beach-town of Santa Barbara, the California native finds the fast-paced nature and eccentricity of LA extremely exciting. Once more, she decided to expand her horizons when she studied abroad this past fall in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Madeline wants to pursue a career in the entertainment industry and is considering broadcast journalism and public relations as potential options. On campus, she is currently the Public Relations & Marketing Director for the student- run organization Fashion and Student Trends and an intern at E! News. She served as an entertainment reporter on UCLA’s accredited student newspaper, The Daily Bruin, under the video division and is a current member of Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority. During her free time, she enjoys playing tennis, exercising, going to the beach, shopping (online shopping will be the death of her!), reading Glamour and Cosmo, eating Mexican food and sushi, spending time with her friends, practicing her Spanish, and satisfying her weakness for caffeine with Starbuck’s lattes.