3 Types of Ways to Organize Your Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Let’s face it- staying organized is probably the hardest part about going to college. In high school, it was easy enough to scribble your assignments on your hand or text a friend. Now that we’re in college; however, our lives have become WAY more hectic. For example, I’m trying to juggle having two jobs, on top of a full load of classes and various clubs! My organizer is a life-saver!

That’s why having a planner of some sort is key to not only being organized, but also to keep your sanity. This post will share some of the best planner options to help you busy collegiettes become ready for this new school year.

The Traditional Planner

Break out your pen and pencils; the traditional planner neatly organizes your work schedule, due dates and girl’s night out. Fun Fact: researchers have noted that the act of writing something down makes it easier to recall in the future. With the traditional planner you’ll remember every important date.

Pros: Traditional planners are so popular, they come in every size and shape. The possiblities of combinations of colors and functions are endless.

Cons: Some may feel restricted by the pre-drawn sections.

Bullet Journal

The bullet journal has taken over the study-blogging sphere (yes, that’s a thing). Like the traditional journal it’s a physical planner; however, it’s grounded in individuality and creativity. Bullet journals are essentially a DIY planner, typically having an index, a month-at-a-glance page, and other pages dedicated to journal entries or to-do lists. The bullet journal truly puts you in control of your future.

Pros: Highly customizable. Unleashes your inner creativity.

Cons: Time consuming!

Online Calendar

You’re using your laptop, phone or tablet to read this article. Generally, this technology has made the calendar so much more convenient than carrying another book around. The online calendar is extremely accessible, and can double as your planner. Popular apps include the Google calendar, which is integrated in most cell phones. Other popular online calendars include Sunrise Calendar and Day viewer. This option is great for those who want a basic reminder, or even those who would like to plan their day by the hour.

Pros: Super Accessible, you can pull up your calendar anywhere, as long as you have your phone on you

Cons: Your phone may run out of battery throughout the day.

Whatever planner option you choose, you’ll find yourself becoming less stressed. As always, being organized is a great skill to develop while in college! 

Helen Zapata is a sophomore majoring in English at UCLA. Beyond writing she loves crafting, gardening, planning elaborate birthday parties and reading bad romance novels.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.