20 Signs That the Holidays Are Here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Winter truly is the most won-der-ful time of the year for obvious reasons, like spending time with family, not having any school, and participating in all of the festivities of the holiday season. Ah, can’t you just feel it? The spirit, the joy, the fun! I would argue that one of the best things about the winter season is that we can watch it slowly creep up on us until BAM — it’s mid-December and we’re right in the thick of the eggnog! I, like many of us, cherish these signs of winter’s approach, because they remind me that I’m one step closer to three weeks vacation and to wearing tinsel as a scarf to showcase my festiveness. I simply love this time of year and everything that accompanies it, so consider this my ode to the best season of them all. Move over Fall, because here’s a list of signs that make my heart beat faster for the holly jolly holidays.

1. Starbucks Holiday Cups

2. Hallmark Movie Marathons (the best, and cheesiest, storylines)

3. Christmas Commercials

4. Eggnog on store shelves

5. Festive Pj’s (preferably matching with friends or family)

6. Christmas music playing on the radio (Queen Mariah)

7. Lights, lights and more lights

8. Freeform’s 25 Days of Christmas is playing 24/7

9. Breaking out the Advent Calendars (and eating all of the candy within a week) 

10. Love Actually is on just about every TV station

11. Hot Chocolate

12. Christmas Cards are in the mail and in every store front

13. You never leave the house without a jacket

14. Peppermint everything

15. Compulsive shopping (all the holiday sales!)

16. Everyone is Instagramming pics of their fuzzy socks

17. Everyone is Instagramming pics of their fuzzy socks while wearing an Ugly X-mas Sweater

18. All of a sudden you like baking (and gingerbread)

19. You eat whatever you want because there are no calories in December

20. Everybody is happier (and nicer!)

Photos and Gifs courtesy of Flickr, Her Campus UCLA, and Giphy

I'm a small town-raised girl exploring the jungle that is Los Angeles. I'm currently in my third year of studying English Literature and Psychology at UCLA, with hopes of minoring in la lingua di Italiano. Along with being an HC contributor, my works have been published across other magazines, websites, and blogs, including LOCALE Magazine, Healthy UCLA (Mind Well section), and Her Blank Canvas. I am the founder of the non-profit Warm Hearts to Warm Hands, which teaches people the skill of knitting in exchange for an article of clothing made using their new skill, whch is then donated to local homeless shelters. I have an immense love for Pride and Prejudice, hot tea, and the human body.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.