12 Affordable Gifts to Get Any Woman in STEM

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

What better way to celebrate the holidays than to give gifts to people are not so easy to shop for, your friends and family who like science, technology, engineering, and math–otherwise known as STEM.

1. Cards Against Humanities science expansion pack

This expansion basically screams science to the most cringe-worthy “family” game.

2. Medical Symbol Wall Art Modern Home Decor Wall Art

A tree DNA swirl of the medical symbol.

3. Giant microbes stuffed animals

You don’t have to be a child in order to enjoy these little bacterial buddies!

4. Science mugs, cups and other kitchen items (prices vary)

You can’t escape science and math, especially in the kitchen. So deck your kitchen out with these cute and practical items. Here are some beaker mugs I found on Amazon.

5. Science jewelry (prices vary)

6. AsapSCIENCE: Answers to the World’s Weirdest Questions, Most Persistent Rumors, and Unexplained Phenomena

Do you enjoy watching the scientific power-couple Greg and Mitchell on Youtube channel AsapSCIENCE? Well, this book is for you! If you watch their videos, they cover quite a lot of science in such a short amount of time, so imagine a book full of their knowledge.

7. Book: Women in Science: 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World 

As the description says on Amazon, “It’s a scientific Fact: Women rock!” Filled with illustrations and despite the simplicity of the text, it is a good choice for a gift to young girls who want to pursue a career in STEM.

8. Sim City 4

This game is a classic. Although the original is nearly 20 years old, The Sims franchise has built off of multiple Sim City sequels from Sim City 300 to . . . . .. . . .

The game is a bit old, but it has helped STEM lecturers learn and teach about urban planning, civil engineering, psychology and geography

9. Periodic Table Shower Curtain

You could sing along with the AsapSCIENCE periodic table song (which you can also find on iTunes) as you admire your new curtain.

10. Supplies and Tools (prices will vary)

Anything from nuts and bolts to transistors resistors and capacitors can help out a STEM friend in need, especially if they are working on a personal project or a project for work that may require, say, a wrench and nails.

11. STEM apparel and blankets (prices may vary)

Clothes marketed toward people STEM are no longer few and far between; they are growing just as fast as careers and research in STEM, especially as the visibility of diversity becomes more accepted.

Here’s a DNA blanket that’ s only $22.80 on Amazon, for example.

12. Anything cheap someone could destroy and rebuild

Lots of people who pursue STEM want to know the why and how to technology. This logical drive could be cultivated by deconstructing and rebuilding it, which allows them to see which wires may connect and what parts go where.

I hope you take these into consideration and your friend or family member appreciates you just a little bit more for reading their mind. 

Joss Glenn is a student at UCLA who is majoring in Theatre and minoring in Neuroscience, Spanish, and French and studies computer programming, math, and fashion design on her own for fun (SAY WHAT???) She is a humanist at heart and writes code, short stories, poems, songs, novels, and movie/TV scripts. She is the lead blogger and founder of Funky Nurd.
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.