10 Ways to Pretend Like You Have Your Sh*t Together

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

You know those perfect girls in the movies who wake up at seven a.m., take their dog for a walk and then casually go read a book at Starbucks? I’ve always aspired to be that person but unfortunately, I’m that girl who wakes up at eleven a.m. and is usually still in her PJ’s at five in the afternoon. I definitely do not have all my shit together, but I’m working on it…or at least pretending to be, and here’s how:  

1. Use a planner

At the beginning of every school year, I always tell myself “Now this is going to be the year I am actually going to use my planner” and year after year, I fail. But, occasionally I’ll pull it out and almost instantly feel a little bit more ~put together~.

2. Go on a walk or a hike

Yeah, I know you don’t really have spare time to take a walk, but I promise you – it works wonders. If you’re feeling bored or stressed, take a walk and you’ll instantly feel uplifted and more accomplished. I don’t know, maybe that stuff they say about nature calming you really is a thing?

3. Wear a cute matching PJ set.

Because those accomplished, young women in movies never wear an XL T- shirt and random gaucho pants to bed.

4. Drink wine out of a proper wine glass, not a red solo cup

Come on ladies, we’re classy and we know exactly what we’re doing with our lives.

5. Get your nails done

I don’t know about you, but when I have my nails done, I instantly feel more like an actual human being, as opposed to a lazy sloth. It’s great.

6. Clean and organize your room

Having a clean room and workspace has many benefits. Take some time out of your busy workweek to clean your room. You’ll thank me later. 

7. Get a plant

Maybe an orchid or a succulent? They’re pretty and dainty. Plus, plants emit fresh air which is good if you’re the type of person who hibernates inside all day.

8. Go to a coffee shop alone and read a book

I don’t know what it is about coffee shops, but they’re so peaceful. Maybe it’s the list of possibilities that could happen as you’re sipping on your artistically crafted latte. Perhaps a cute guy will walk in and comment on your book, or maybe you’ll even have an old man hit on you! I’m always left with the latter, but I really do hope you have better luck.

9. Wear workout clothes, like, all the time

If anyone asks, you just ran four miles at the gym and sweated your butt off at Pilates. Why is my makeup perfectly intact, you ask? Because Janice, I have my shit together. Don’t question me.

10. And whatever you do, do it confidently

Photo Credits: DailylLolPicsIntrigueMichelle Fitness, Pinterest:1, 2; Orchids Made Easy

Carly is a features writer for Her Campus at UCLA. In her free time she loves to sing, write, and spend time with her friends and family. 
Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.