10 Underrated Ways to De-Stress During Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCLA chapter.

Finals week is fast approaching which means you’re probably going into high-stress mode. Even though being stressed about finals is a sign that you care about your classes – which is a good thing – it’s also a sign that you need to practice self-care or else your mental and physical health will suffer – which would definitely be a bad thing. Most of us already know that we need to take extra care of ourselves during high-stress periods but odds are we don’t. Maybe because it just feels like there’s no time to unwind or because anything relaxing involves spending more energy, and perhaps more money. Although those are valid thoughts, it’s important to remember that spending extra time, or energy or money doing something that relaxes you will increase your productivity levels meaning that in the end you actually gain more than you think.

So here are 10 fun and relaxing things to do that don’t take up too much time and won’t make you more tired, and broke, than you would like to be:

1. Go for a walk

UCLA is full of places to take a peaceful walk and get a good dose of fresh air, for example The Botanical Gardens. Being outside and moving your body really does more for you than you think so next time you need to take a study break do this. Bonus: it’s free! And if you’re feeling like you have a little more energy to expel then you could always turn this walk into a run!

2. Take a nap

We all love to sleep but sometimes getting 8 straight hours of sleep can be difficult – that where naps come in handy, they boost your memory and alertness. But be careful how long you nap for because naps that are more than 30 minutes can be more harmful than helpful since your body starts hitting the deeper stages of sleep. If you do need more sleep than that then take a 90-minute nap so that your body has enough time to complete one sleep cycle. Waking up in the middle of a sleep cycle is what makes you groggy and even more tired so avoid doing that! Apart from an ideal nap length there’s also an ideal nap time. If you wake up at around 7am then nap at 1pm and if you wake up at 9am then nap around 3pm.

3. Take a warm bath

It turns out that being horizontal in water actually improves your mood and being in a better mood always makes studying less dreadful! Also, the heat soothes and relaxes your muscles and can help relieve cold symptoms (there’s nothing worse than falling sick during finals!). You’ll reap even more benefits if you do this right before bed because hot baths help you fall asleep more easily so you won’t be wasting time tossing and turning in bed!

4. Do a breathing exercise

Here’s an easy one you can try: breathe in and count 1, breathe out and count 2, breathe in and count 3, breathe out and count 4, breathe in and count 5, then breathe out and count 4…get the drift? You basically go 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 and so on. It’s actually a lot harder than it sounds because it takes a surprising amount of patience to completely clear your thoughts and just focus on this. This is a great exercise for concentration and it will leave you feeling calm so if you find yourself panicking while studying, then take a break and do this.

5. Have a dance party with your roommates

This is a good one for those of us who don’t want to work out but want to do something more challenging than taking a walk. If you take a 15-minute study break, then you could let loose for at least 3 songs! This is also a fun way to spend time with your friends without totally disrupting your study schedule. The combination of listening to music that you love and moving your body will instantly put you in a better mood and give you more energy!

6. Laugh

Laughter is the best mood-booster – it lowers tension and improves blood circulation. How you do this is totally up to you! An effortless way to laugh is to watch viral videos which I’m sure are flooding your Facebook newsfeed so they shouldn’t be hard to find and they’re really short! You could also watch a comedy show – The Improv Space in Westwood has free shows every Thursday so when your brain feels like mush and you can’t study anymore go check it out! It’ll be even more fun if you go with a couple of friends!

7. Have a cup of herbal tea

There are so many kinds of herbal teas that cater to so many of your body’s needs. The ultimate tea for relaxation is chamomile so if you’re looking for a good night’s rest sip on this before bed. Passion flower tea is great for combating stress and anxiety so it’s basically essential during finals! Peppermint tea and green tea are great for detoxing because they help with indigestion and soothe your tummy muscles; finals can sometimes ruin our eating habits and if you just don’t have time or energy to fix this by hitting the gym then drink these teas.

8. Read a book or a magazine (and not on your phone or iPad because it’s important to unplug!)

There’s something really special about reading and knowing that it isn’t required for one of your classes so you can stop whenever you want! When I don’t plan this activity as my study break I like to think of it as productive procrastination because even though I know I should be studying, I also know that I could be learning something new and then I feel less guilty!

9. Have a piece of dark chocolate

This is arguable the best way to destress because what’s not to love about eating chocolate? Dark chocolate (75%-80% cocoa) is pretty nutritious and it’s a great source of antioxidants. Dark chocolate also improves cognitive function in the short term since it has some caffeine and increases blood flow to the brain. Also, knowing that something this tasty is good for you – in moderation of course – is bound to make you happier!

10. Doodle

Doing something creative without the added of pressure of having to produce a finished, final piece of art can be so relaxing. This is a great activity to do with friends and with some music in the background. Doodling increases creativity, helps generate ideas, and can even improve memory. It’s a great way to express your feelings and thoughts and it teaches you focus and concentration. Bonus: you can do it literally wherever you are and you can stop whenever you want!

Photos Courtesy of Giphy

Her Campus at UCLA is a proud Elite Level Chapter in the Her Campus. Our team consists of talented writers, content creators, photographers, designers, event planners and more! Follow us @HerCampusUCLA and check out HerCampus.com/school/UCLA for more articles! Feel free to contact us at hc.ucla@hercampus.com for any questions.