Why You May Not Be as “Basic” as You Thought This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Since its fall and just as pumpkin spice everything is trending of course so is the “Basic Bee-otch Stereo Type”. Maybe all of us aren’t as “basic” as the eye may see. As a college girl I often can feel the gazes of the people thinking “oh theres another one” but personally I like to believe as many probably do theirs a not so basic side to this girl! Often this feelings comes over me as I stroll into the Starbucks on campus; books in hand and needing some caffeine to get me through my next class. Just as I, you may not be so basic if festive seasonal drinks such as pumpkin spice lattes delight you, but you still prefer and would rather order your double iced skim latte. Surprising every Barista as soon as you give them your order; lets be honest ladies, pumpkin is temporary but skim lattes they are forever.

That first cold front coming through often marks the first real day of fall and also is often the calling for those comfortable and functional “basic” black leggings and a chambray shirt but you might not be so basic if you think nothings better than tucking that chambray shirt into a corduroy skirt adding some cute tights, a quilted vest and being told by every girl you look like you just walked out of a pin on Pinterest.

There are several fall activities that have say “gone basic” due to the over filtering of Instagram photos but you still may not be so basic if going to a pumpkin patch to pick out the perfect pumpkin, carving it with your family or significant other while roasting pumpkin seeds sounds like the perfect fall day. Just as you decorate your Christmas tree and may go to a farm and pick it out, a day of pumpkin picking is in no way basic but a tradition. Pumpkin picking in no way places you in a stereo type that often has a negative connotation but instead places you in a category that seems to be dyeing out.

Your most definitely not basic if as soon as October 1st rolls around you are brainstorming ideas for the most creative and cute DIY Halloween costume. A costume that consist of way more than just a corset, some animal ears and fake eyelashes. No matter how sexy or not of a costume nothing beats that well thought out, one of a kind costume made by you!

Now, if fall is your favorite time of year and pumpkin everything will stay as your first choice till peppermint rolls around, your black leggings and chambray shirt will still be your go to for 5/7 days of the week, you will still over filter the picture of you frolicking in a pumpkin patch in your favorite flannel or you still will add a pair of animal ears to a black corset this Halloween, have fun! Own that “basic” girl in you cause we all know no matter how much these things may be considered “basic” they are reasons we love this season and only happen once a year. Basic or not so basic happy fall ya’ll.