This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Lately, I’ve been going through some friendship issues, is it because I’m a bad friend? Maybe, but maybe not. Sometimes friendships can suffer if everyone is not on the same page. I’m learning though these hardships that while it is important to think about your happiness, the world doesn’t revolve around you. Other people may be impacted by your actions. And even though you may have had the best of intentions, your friend may become a stranger if you don’t consider their feelings.

If you want to use the ‘F’ word. That’s right: FRIENDSHIP. You’ve got to keep these things in mind.

Effort: Initially everyone may be polite and friendly, but that’s an acquaintance. To really be someone’s friend, you’ve got to actually want it. That’s right, you’ve got to put effort. After all, you reap what you sow right? Well, that person also has to put in effort as well. You don’t want to end up enabling someone or getting taken advantage of. Send a text message saying hello or inviting them to try yoga once in a while.

Trust: I’m not talking about asking to copy their homework, but taking actions that back your claim of being their FRIEND. Being a person of your word, or maybe helping that person out when they need you most. Saying you’ll meet up with them if you made plans. Imagine being in a situation that leaves you vulnerable. Don’t be the douchebag that guilts people into helping you out and refuse to be their shoulder to cry on when they face troubles in life. Or the one that ditches when it’s convenient for you.

Support: Don’t be totally blind-sided with your own troubles that you forget that the human race as a whole also has their plate full. It’s a relationship. Your friend is the one that you can totally talk about your embarrassing or epic stories of that one person you met while out. A friend is the person who listens. I bet you’d want someone to enjoy memories with such as going to the movies, parties, a slice of pizza and maybe a future wedding…Show support in the milestones in life, because life is like a cake and it’s enjoyable if you eat it with others.

Love: Everyone wants to be cared about especially in unfamiliar situations. I promise you don’t know how to handle every situation on your own. You’re bound to want to talk about it with someone to get a second opinion. Take the time to open up. I usually think of friends as temporary people, but someone once told me that maybe that mindset is the reason you really aren’t getting this social fulfillment you want, because no one wants to hang with someone that makes them feel bad. Yup. Be open-minded and accepting of people’s differences and be considerate of their experiences, no matter if you find them ridiculous. To them, it has value. Be glad that they came to you to confide in

So go and be the coolest friend out there!

Pictures taken by Author.

Jennifer was born in Upper-Manhattan, New York City. She is studying to become a Speech-Language Therapist and decided to take 1920's Swing Dancing seriously. Always wearing fashionable dresses and sun hats, she spends her Friday nights from 7pm til 12am perfecting her technique in the hopes of competing professionally. Jennifer is a contributing author for Her Campus at UCF and is treasurer for a club named Project Art Therapy for Children's Health at UCF. Aside from journaling, Jennifer is an undergraduate researcher for topics ranging from Aerospace Engineering, Psychology and Dementia. Follow Jennifer on social media if you like poetry, music and cats.
UCF Contributor