When The Holiday’s Aren’t So Happy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

“Happy Holidays!”  “All is Merry and Bright!”  “It’s the most wonderful time of the year.”  That’s a lot of pressure.

For some, going home for the holidays is something people look forward to all year.  They dream of those days where they are participating in their favorite traditions, relaxing, and spending time with their loved ones.  As much as the holiday movies and music try to make us believe everything is perfect this time of year, it isn’t this way for everyone.  For some, going home for the extended holiday is filled with too many expectations, and anxiety.  

This season, lets think about those who’s holidays are not so happy.  Let’s think about those who don’t want to go home because they don’t have the best family life.  Let’s think about those who do not even have a family to go home to.  Think about the people who are always anxious about the pressures to communicate, and engage in many different holiday events because of their social anxiety.  Think about those who struggle and stress about the large meals with families because of an eating disorder.  For these people, this time of year is not “the most wonderful time of the year,”  but one of the hardest times of the year.  

For those struggling this holiday season, know that you are never alone.  Forget the flashy movies and music that are trying to tell you how to spend the season, and take some time for yourself.  Take a walk outside and enjoy the crisp air, give yourself a personal “me time.”  Maybe spend the holidays doing something for others, or getting back in touch with loved ones you haven’t made contact with in a while.  While the holidays may feel especially lonely, you do not have to be alone.  Nothing lasts forever, bad days don’t last forever and before you know it, you will be back to your everyday routine.  Enjoy your break because you deserve it.

Grace Burns is a 3rd year Senior at the University of Central Florida pursing her degree in Visual Art-Emerging Media Management.  When not home writing, going through photos of her dogs back home, or hanging out with her roommates, you can find her hitting the farmers market, or finding perfect spots to document for her Instagram. Grace one day hopes to use her studies in Emerging Media and her experience in writing with Her Campus to pursue a career in social networking related to branding or fashion journalism.  
UCF Contributor