Vintage in Orlando: How to Be Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Rachel Zoe said it the best: “Style is a way to say who you are without having to speak.” Sometimes it can get a little tricky trying to find your own style, especially when popular styles become overkill. Plain black T-shirt? Meh. Plain black T-shirt with some studs thrown on it? Fashionable!…Until you run into someone else with studs on their shirt, shoes, phone case, etc. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not hating on the recent oh-so-popular demand for studs, but who wants to be a carbon copy of everyone else?

My goal is to make 2013 the year of change. Nothing says change like a couple of new items to throw in your closet and put that extra pep in your step! Plus, with tax returns coming right around the corner, it couldn’t hurt to spend a few bucks on some one-of-a-kind items, right?

I thought I’d share with you a few of my favorite vintage stores in Orlando, as well as a couple of shops based online for you computer-savvy shoppers to help you step out of these everyday trends.

1) Etoile Boutique located at 2424 E Robinson St.

Falon bought into the business just a couple of years ago in August of 2010. Let’s just say the previous owner, Katie, made Falon an offer she could not refuse when she was asked to take over the business. As a designer for A Rare Bird, Katie originally opened up the shop six years ago in hopes to give other designers such as her a home for their handmade goods, ranging from clothing and jewelry to artwork and candles. The success of this boutique lies in the hands of the vintage itself. The great thing about vintage is that every piece has its own story. While some vintage stores may be a little pricy with their items, Etoile’s average piece of vintage clothing comes out to around $24, the perfect price for stylish collegiettes on a budget!

Best Sellers: Distressed high-waisted denim, bow tie blouses, dresses ranging from every day 1990s floral cotton to floor length 1950s & ’60s “Mad Men” style gowns with sequins and lace, and handmade jewelry. This boutique is well known for their eclectic jewelry selection which includes crystal bullet necklaces, wood pieces, and leather – which brings me to my next shop!

2) Love + Leather

While Love + Leather is currently an online store, you can find this unique collection at Etoile Boutique. Renee’s business idea sparked up from a simple Native American Halloween costume just last year. After getting several compliments on the necklace she had made for her costume, she decided to let her creativity take over and design more necklaces to sell. These aren’t just any necklaces, though. Renee wanted to create a necklace that you wouldn’t be able to just walk into the mall and find. Mixing rock and roll with boho chic (or Blondie meets Pocahontas, as she puts it), she began creating necklaces that were easy to work with and versatile enough dress up with a nice evening dress, or dress down with a loose tank and a funky pair of leggings.

Best sellers: Her original piece that she made, Tribal Rock, with Chrome Rocked coming in a close second place.

If you have an edgier look and enjoy bold fashion statements, this is definitely the shop for you!

3) Lady Like Vintage 

Like Love + Leather, Lady Like Vintage is also based online. Jessica’s love for fashion started when she was a young girl going garage sale hunting with her grandma. As she grew older, her love for thrifting did, too. Rather than hoarding all her good finds, she decided to open up her own shop through Etsy, alter the clothing and share her pieces with everyone! Sewing and sprucing up clothes have always been part of Jessica’s routine, so while this may appear to be a part-time job, she admits that it has really just become her favorite hobby.

Best sellers: Button-ups and tennis skirts, hands down.

4) The Owl’s Attic

Last but not least, this hidden gem is located at 4031 Forsyth Rd. Brittany and her boyfriend had recently moved in together and found themselves doing a lot of thrifting to find things for their new home. Although they didn’t have much knowledge on vintage, they knew they were finding some great pieces that were too good to pass up. A passion for old things as well as a love for the hunt is what Brittany claims inspired her to open up her shop. After finishing a teaching degree at UCF, she decided to take a break and pursue the opportunity to work on The Owl’s Attic. Don’t let the unusual location of the shop fool you! There are a plethora of items here that you are bound to fall in love with. Plus, students receive a 10% discount with a valid school ID.

Best sellers: Vintage clothing and shoes for both men and women.

Which one of these shops do you ladies think suites you the best? Show some love to our local vendors. It’s only a matter of time before you find your very own Iconic look! 

UCF Contributor