This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

School tragedies are a beast of a horrific nature. Safe havens like hospitals, religious sanctuaries, and schools are considered sacred caves where peace is laced throughout the building, and while fights may happen, we believe that it will never result in death. It seemed to begin in Colorado during the spring of 1999. That tragic day ignited an entire discussion surrounding the safety for children in schools. Thirteen years later, in the paralyzing winters of Connecticut, another school shooting took place, and America wept for the lives of the unsuspecting children in Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Just a few months prior, our own golden UCF suffered through what could have been a deathly shooting. The resilient students of UCF found strength in each other and took the time to console one another after the incident. I personally remember not being able to go home to my apartment that evening and it wasn’t until the following morning that I realized I was spared my life. In the wake of the heartbreaking college shooting in Roseburg, Oregon, executed with legally bought firearms, it seemed like an important time to check in with the heart of UCF and see how the past has affected the student’s view today.

I tried to speak to a good sample of students regarding the catastrophe in Oregon, but needless to say, it was difficult. I mention that, because it is important to realize the impact that the event had on the student body’s ability to communicate their sentiments surrounding school shootings. Still, I got the opinion of a very active UCF student Tai-Lyn Parboosingh, a regular volunteer, who related to me that “as a college student I could truly state that it scares me to know that college shootings are more and more prevalent, but I feel as though the media and the portrayal of these shootings makes the matters worse due to the fact that these individuals get these painful and violent ideas from media sources.” Tai-Lyn also feels that “there should be greater awareness about college shootings and more security and protection” around college campuses. Another engaged student, Brianna Talbert, shared with me that she “wasn’t surprised it happened,” and she feels that is “a problem within itself.” Two opinions that vary greatly in emotion, but both convey the same message: this could happen again if no assertive action is taken, and the reactions will continue to become less and less shocking. An open and active conversation is on the cusp of America and this reporter hopes that we all care enough to take a vocal part in.

At this time UCF is thankful for the perceived safety we operate under and we send our love and hope to those affected by the shooting in Oregon. If anyone would like to talk to someone about feelings of any sort, please contact UCF Care Services at (407) 823-2726, or UCF’s Counseling and Psychological Services at (407) 823-2811. 

Photo credit: 

http://www.dailyemerald.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/15.1.10.SJM_.emg_…

Hailing from Miami, by way of Jamaica, Taylor is an island-turned-city girl who loves the beach, yoga, reading (Her Campus) and writing (for Her Campus)!  A lover of fashion and fun, Taylor often uses her ensembles to become characters she thinks up and incorporates them into her writing.  Her favorite novel is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho and her favorite city is Paris.  
UCF Contributor