The Struggle of Having a Long Distance Relationship with Your Best Friend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Everyone has that one best friend that goes to a different school, lives in a different city or is staying in a different state. You still maintain your friendship through funny memes, FaceTime sessions and phone calls about stupid instances and boys at 2AM, but it’s just not the same as physically having them there everyday like you used to. Despite the distance and the hustle and bustle from day to day, you are able to remain close and continue to talk about everything that is important to one another, but there are just some things that aren’t the same. The struggle of having a long distance relationship with your best friend can be tiring, but we all know it is worth it in the end because our best friend will always be our best friend and no distance can separate a true bond, no matter how cheesy that sounds. With that being said, I wanted to compile a list of humorous instances that only long distance best friends will understand to aid in the process of dealing with separation anxiety and homesickness (from your bff obviously).

When you want to share something with your best friend, but then remember that they are 3 hours away. You laugh for a minute and think, “(Insert best friend’s name here) would love that!” Maybe you can’t laugh with them there in person, but you can always call them up and tell them about what you saw or what happened  

When you just want to have a cuddle session, pig out on some ice cream or sit and do nothing with your best friend just to have them there. You realize that you can’t sit in silence and be comfortable with just anyone and you have a moment of nostalgia of when you and your bestie used to scroll through FaceBook and make fun of all of the people you went to highschool with who are now married while you are still living it up in college.

Having to FaceTime your best friend about a funny night out you had or a situation with an awkward guy that you know they would appreciate or be able to give you advice on. While FaceTiming, you always make sure to get a shot of your up-close double chin and take screenshots of theirs so that you can use it as blackmail when you have to make an Instagram compilation on their birthday.

Not talking everyday, but knowing that the bond will always be there. You may not talk to your bestie every single day, but despite the fact, you never hold a grudge or miss out on much in the other person’s life. You know that you will tell each other what really matters and that’s all that really matters.

Whenever you are together, you make the best out of it: by being lazy and just spending time with each other. Of course you’ll have that one night that you go all out because you want to make the best memories, but you know deep down that the best times are simply when you are just having quality time with your best friend.

Despite the distance and the minutes used up on your cell, you know that your best friend is your best friend and it will always be that way. 

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4,  5, 6

I am a writing and rhetoric major at the University of Central Florida and I really love tacos and pugs (the dog breed). I am a writer for Her Campus UCF and have been writing since I was eight years old :). My great grandfather won the Pulitzer Prize so I have some big shoes to fill.
UCF Contributor