This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Growing up with curly, frizz prone hair, I was taught to “tame” it in any way that I could. I felt forced to straighten, condition, deep condition, moisturize, oil, gel and/or braid it. Whatever made everyone else feel it was most presentable. However, after years of trying to tame the mane for others, I decided to go all-natural and it was the best thing I’ve ever done. Here’s why you should stop taming your mane:

It cuts your morning routine down to under 20 minutes

The morning hair routine was my biggest battle. Twenty minutes of hair styling that could be easily ruined if I combined the wrong products or it started raining outside, which lead to 20 more minutes of styling. I’ve had days where I’ve spent an hour on my hair. Now I can get up for my 10:30 class at 9:45. That’s a super win in my book

Compliments Galore

The first few days I was really uncomfortable with the entire concept. I live in Florida where humidity and rain are the daily hair struggle. How could I go off without product? I was so afraid that people would judge my hair because of how frizzy it would be. But really the first day I went all-natural I got more compliments on my hair than I ever had with products. When people ask what I did to my hair. I reply, “Just add water.” 

It’s More Touch-able

Since the beginning of time, people with curly hair are bombarded with the question “Can I touch it?” A majority of my curly hair sisters do not, by any means, want anyone to touch their hair. Touching = frizz. Frizz makes most of us very unhappy. Plus, the amount of products in curly hair will make the touchers’ hands sticky or oily, maybe both. It’s just an unfortunate and awkward situation for both parties involved. Since I went product-less, my hair is soft daily and I actually want people to touch it. But you know, people should still ask before they dive in. Or I will probably know you as the “awkward hair toucher” for the rest of our lives.

Less Frizz, More Versatility

YouTube tutorials are very helpful in this department. There are so many cute styles that only work if your hair has some frizz. One of my go-to styles is the Alicia Keys scarf with some hair coming out from the top. Without some frizz, the top just becomes a flop. Not cute. Going all-natural really taught me where my hair frizzes and how to create hairstyles that incorporate the extra growth. This skill really comes in handy when Florida decides to downpour without warning and I am umbrella-less. 

Saves Money

Personally, I’ve been struggling to find products that both tame frizz and keep my hair soft. After spending over $500 on different hair product failures I settled with a $5 water based gel. But that just made my hair hard. I really could never win. Now, I wet my hair in the shower and a little bit of moisturizer once a week. I just wish I found this solution $500 ago, could’ve afforded a nice vacation. 

Confidence Booster

There is just something really empowering about letting your hair be free. When I freed my hair, I freed myself of really caring about other peoples’ opinions of me. My hair was the last crutch that chained me down to societies negative critiques.

In the end, nature always wins. Why fight it? Choose to go natural. You and your wallet won’t regret it.

Photo Credit: 1, 2

Kayla is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida. Her major is Television Radio with a minor in Event Management. She's worked as a fitness instructor and an intern for a professional race car driver. Currently, she works in retail and loves making the world a little more fashionable one person at a time. Kayla hopes to one day work public relations in the motorsports industry to show those guys women can do anything men can do (but better). When she is not on campus she's probably on a race track, reenacting a Beyonce concert or trying to find a portal to the Enchanted Forest (because Once Upon A Time is actually a parallel universe). If you are lucky you may find her doing all three. To keep up with all her unique adventures follow her on Twitter
UCF Contributor