Real UCF Guy: 5 Dates to Spice Up Your Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Living in Florida can sometimes be a drag. The heat seems to never let up, and it’s enough to drive anyone a little mad. The worst part might be our lack of four true seasons. Luckily, we here in Florida don’t need the changing leaves and the snow to enjoy all the benefits of fall. In fact, some of the best fall festivities can be found only in Florida! Here’s a look at what’s going on around Central Florida this holiday season.

1) Take a Walk, Ride a Bike, Run a Trail – Get Outside!
Nobody in Florida enjoys colder weather more than I do, especially after months and months of sweltering heat. At the first sign of a breeze I’m already unpacking my winter clothing, trying to find any excuse to wear that jacket I had no reason to buy. Colder weather brings about a lot of change, but none better than the ability to walk outside and not shrivel up like the Wicked Witch! With that in mind, go outside and enjoy what you’ve been missing all these summer months. Skip the beach (though a walk on the beach as the sun goes down on a cool fall night is something I highly recommend) and hit the trail. Whether you want to be all cozied up walking hand-in-hand or laced up running until you can’t feel your face, you can’t beat a trail on a breezy fall afternoon.

2) Pumpkins, Pumpkins Everywhere…
Pumpkins are like the best disease ever: Once a year they suddenly appear as if out of nowhere, radically changing the way we function on a day-to-day basis. Except in this case, it’s awesome! For about two to three months every year, we get to enjoy this pumpkin injection. Pumpkin-flavored coffee, pumpkin creamer, pumpkin bagels (I just discovered this gem myself the other day), pumpkin bread, pumpkin rolls, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pie, etc. There’s absolutely no reason to skip over this wonderful treat. For a pumpkin-filled date I suggest you start off with pumpkin spice lattes from Starbucks, then head off to the pumpkin patch, have some–err–“fun,” buy a couple pumpkins, carve ‘em up, bake the seeds and then treat yourself to some delicious pumpkin pie for dessert. You may slip into a pumpkin coma, but I assure you your taste buds wont mind.

3) Halloween Horror Nights
There’s no need to really explain this one, as I’m sure you’ve either heard of it, been there once before, or have seen one of the many commercials flooding the tube lately. HHN is a staple of Central Florida every year and is the number one recommend haunted house every year for a reason. Universal Studios puts an exorbitant amount of time, money and energy into transforming an entire park into one giant scare-zone. If anything, their investment alone is worth the price to enjoy the spectacle. But for those of you who enjoy a good scare, HHN should not be missed. One last piece of advice on this one: just because you’re in college doesn’t mean you’re too big to be scared. Go into HHN with the same attitude you would if you were half your age, and you’re guaranteed to enjoy it twice as much!

4) Sports Overload
As a huge sports fan myself, October is one of my favorite months of the year. Baseball is moving into the post-season, college and professional football are transitioning out of the off-season and the first couple of games and into some of the best games and rivalries of the year, the NBA starts up again (though this might be a bit of a disappointment in Orlando this year), and the NHL starts its regular season at the end of the month. Sports often lay the groundwork for some of the best and most thrilling dates of the year, and now is the perfect time to take advantage. Whether you prefer the local bar, the actual arena or your comfy couch, take advantage of the camaraderie associated with sports and make the next big game your next big date.

5) A Haunted Town in Our Backyard

Unless you’re a psychic, medium, or just interested in the like, you may have never heard of a little town called Cassadaga. Not only is this town supposedly haunted, but it’s full of plenty of surprises to keep even the most adventurous entertained. Located between Deland and Orange City, it’s a mere 30-minute drive away. The town and hotel (they only have one) routinely put on events, and October is definitely a month to check them out. After you’ve visited the town and the hotel, had a reading and enjoyed the food at the restaurant (located in the hotel), I suggest the two of you take a walk down past the park and through the woods until you get to the other side of Lake Colby. This spot will guarantee you two some alone time and is one of the most quiet and serene places I have ever been.

I’ll be back in a couple of weeks with great date ideas for your winter break!

Until next time,

Real UCF Guy,
David

Nicholas Osler graduated from the University of Central Florida in 2014 with a degree in Interpersonal/Organizational Communication. Connect with him on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/nicholasosler