Mr. UCF 2014: Quinn Zagorc

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This past weekend UCF crowned Quinn Zagorc Mr. UCF 2014. He’s witty, confident and well-spoken. Did I mention he’s also a dancer at Walt Disney World? Collegiettes, meet your newest UCF royalty!

What year in school are you? What is your major? Minor?

I’m a senior graduating in May. I’m majoring in Advertising & Public Relations with a minor in Dance.

How did you prepare for the pageant?

This was my second year doing the pageant, so I felt a lot more comfortable than I did last year. I knew a lot more how to prepare and what would work for me. I really worked on getting to know my platform and resume. As for everything else, I knew I just had to be myself. I rehearsed my talent and made sure to work out for swimsuit, but as far as interview and onstage question, there isn’t a lot of preparation. It’s all about being yourself and letting the judges see who you are and why you should represent the university. 

What was your talent?

I did a contemporary jazz solo to a cover of “The Edge of Glory”.

How long have you been dancing? 

I have been dancing since I was 3 years old. I started dancing through an outreach program at my daycare and when it was time for me to go to Kindergarten, my parents enrolled me in after school classes at the studio. I danced at a studio until I graduated high school, and have been dancing at UCF now all 4 years. I’m also currently an equity dancer in “Dream Along With Mickey” at Walt Disney World. 

What were you most nervous for?

I think the fact that I was more comfortable put a lot of pressure on me. I wasn’t sure if the pageant would be exactly the same as the year before, so “knowing what to expect” may not have been what happened at all. It definitely had its similarities, but it also had its differences. However, the differences kept me on my toes and didn’t allow me to get too comfortable. I think the fact that I was being challenged helped me to succeed. 

What is your platform?

My platform is Dance Up to Bullying. This is actually the first year Mr. contestants have had to have a platform, and I am super excited to get working on it. I’ll be going out into Central Florida elementary schools to talk about how we can use dance and expression of movement to overcome our differences and bullying. Not only will I hope to have an impact on these elementary school students, but my fellow UCF Knights as well, who will be a part of team and travel throughout Central Florida (and hopefully the state!) with me. 

What do you hope to accomplish as Mr. UCF? 

Aside from my platform, I hope to be a face people recognize on campus and feel comfortable around. Mr. UCF is slightly different from Miss UCF in the sense that we do not go onto Miss Florida, so this year is our victory, and we can make of it what we want! I will have several appearances at campus events throughout the year, so everyone please come up and say hi to me! I love meeting new people and talking about UCF with everyone, so don’t be shy. I also idolize Ellen DeGeneres (maybe I’ll get to meet her…a boy can dream), so if by the end of the year I have my own talk show, which is my lifelong dream, I wouldn’t complain about that. 

What was your initial reaction or feeling when you were crowned Mr. UCF?

It’s funny, because I honestly don’t remember exactly how I felt or what happened in the moment, so I’ve resorted to asking my friends, who likewise, don’t seem to remember. There is a video though of me appearing to go weak in the knees, looking shocked and speechless. I don’t think I’ve ever been speechless in my life before, so I know I was overwhelmed, happy, excited, in disbelief…all of those things. As it sunk in and I get to see my family and friends, it really hit me that this was all happening, and it was a night I will never forget. 

Do you have any advice for anyone interested in competing for Mr. UCF next year?

Do it. 100%. Don’t question whether you should or not. You should. You don’t understand how much of a positive impact the pageant can have on your college career until you’ve participated. I always joke around that I feel bad for people who go through college without competing in Mr. or Miss UCF, but I’m really not joking, because I do feel bad for them. It is an experience that will challenge you in ways I believe nothing else on this campus will, and no matter how you do, I think I speak for all contestants when I say we walk away feeling like a winner. 

Describe yourself in 3 words

Self-proclaimed comedian :)