A Millennial’s Take on the 2016 Presidential Election

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I am a millennial, but I think I speak for Americans of all ages when I say what we are all thinking: this election absolutely sucks.

I was very young during the 2008 election cycle but I’ve done enough research to recognize that the feelings of hope and optimism of that year have dissipated and been replaced with warmongering, deceit, division, and violence. Tensions seem to be at their highest in recent history, with relationships and friendships literally being ruined because of party affiliation.

As a young person this particularly worries me. Neither candidate represents me. I don’t believe either candidate cares much about me or anyone like me. “Vote for me because you’ll literally die if my opponent wins,” seems to be the go-to message for both sides. As a first time voter, the choices this year are especially upsetting. During the primaries I proudly cast my ballot, donning my “I Voted” sticker like a gold star. I was supporting a candidate who envisioned the country I want America to be- just, fair, and unified. My candidate did not receive the nomination- which I’d probably be less bitter about if the alternatives weren’t so undesirable.

On the right we have Donald Trump, a TV show host and beauty pageant aficionado who’s bankrupted 6 businesses and counting. He has zero experience holding public office and seems to be banking on xenophobia and jingoism getting him to the White House. The first debate on September 26 showed Trump in full form as he defended calling Rosie O’Donnell a “farm animal pig” and bragged about not paying his taxes.

We get no specifics from Trump, a man who:

I could go on but I think I’ve made my point. Donald Trump has brought out the absolute worst parts of this country. He seems to be on a one-man-mission to bring the US back to an era when treating women and minorities as subhumans was the status quo. To have him elected to the highest and most respected office in the land would be detrimental to justice everywhere. The younger generation of Americans, especially, should be terrified of the regressive track a Trump presidency would put this nation on.

Secretary Hillary Clinton gives good talk, but her record contradicts her at almost every turn. She paints herself as a champion of racial justice, yet she supported the 1994 crime bill that devastated the African American community. She says she’ll be tough on the banks- the same banks who have given her more than $40 million since 2000. Her website claims she will combat climate change, yet she won’t support a ban on fracking. Today, she publicly attends gay pride parades, but up until 2013 she refused to support same-sex marriage. She voted for the disastrous war in Iraq. And let’s not forget the way she mocked Bernie Sanders supporters during the primaries, treating us like unruly children rather than citizens who care deeply about the direction of this country. Hillary Clinton calls herself “a progressive who likes to get things done”, which sounds pretty, but translates to “sell out” in my mind. As then-Senator Barack Obama said in 2008, “She’ll say anything, and change nothing”.

I, along with many others, will be forced to choose the lesser of two evils this November. While I would love to put my vote toward a Third Party candidate that I actually believe in, my residency in an extremely crucial battleground state forces me to choose no change over catastrophic change.

My message to my fellow millennials is this: do not become jaded, complacent, or apathetic. Get mad as hell. The future is in our hands. We now outnumber baby boomers. We have been handed pretty disappointing options for president but there are many ways to change the system. Get involved at the local and state levels. Vote during the midterm elections. Educate yourself and others on the important issues today. Never think that what’s going on in the world today doesn’t affect you, because it does. The system is built so that young people like us feel small- but we can fix that. Inspire change now so, one day, you can look back and know you stood on the right side of history.

Photo credit: 1, 2, 3, 4

Ashley Garrett is a second year student and journalism major at UCF. Besides serving as treasurer of her awesome sorority, Sigma Phi Lambda, she enjoys writing, singing along to Sia, and reading anything from Sarah Dessen to Toni Morrison. She's passionate about Bath and Body Works scents, historical dramas, and equality for all. Her ultimate goal is to travel the world and and her spirit animal is Kelly Kapoor from The Office. You can follow her on Instagram @smashley_97!
UCF Contributor