Meet UCF’s Biggest Celebrity: Knightro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This week, Her Campus was able to get to know UCF’s hottest celebrity: Knightro. 

With commencement ceremonies and graduation pictures happening all over campus, Knightro has been in high demand. Lucky for us, he made time in his busy schedule to answer some of the questions we’ve all been dying to ask.

Claire: How long have you been our school’s mascot?

Knightro: I have been reppin’ UCF since 1994! I was born at the first Spirit Splash when the homecoming pep rally was transformed into one of the greatest traditions in all of college!

C: What do you love most about being UCF’s mascot?

K: The better question would be… what don’t I love the most! This is the best school in the best city in the best state in the nation! Seriously though, having a family of over 325,000 knights is the greatest!

C: What is your favorite UCF tradition?

K: Man, it’s hard to pick just one…. But we have talked a little bit about it already. Spirit splash is #1 on my list! 15,000 students and alumni all gathered around cheering and splashing and partying together getting ready for the big game, how could anything compete?? Plus, I found out in 2013 that I look really good as a duck.

C: Do you pick out your own chubbies for spirit splash?

K: I do! I work directly with a local chubbies rep who gives me a few choices of the latest and most popular styles, I get to pick the ones I think will look the best (which let’s be honest, I can pull off anything) and we unveil at Spirit Splash!

C: How often do you shine your armor?

K: As often as I can, I always try to look my best for my friends and fans. The golder the better!

C: Does your armor ever inhibit your dancing?

K: You’ve heard the song “These Boots Were Made for Walking” right? Well, this armor was made for dancing! I can do anything from the cha-cha slide to backflips, nothing keeps me down.

C: Are you friends with other mascots even though you always annihilate them in dance offs?

K:  Other mascots are great! I have a lot of really good friends around the country, Harry the Husky from UW, Testudo the Terrapin from Maryland, The Tiger from Clemson, Aubie from Auburn, Bearcat from Cincinnati, and Buzz from Georgia Tech to name a few! Even Rocky the Bull from USF and I get along most days (except game day of course). No matter how badly beaten they are after the dance-off, we always come out close as ever.

C: What is your favorite part of football game days?

K:  Winning of course!!! Nothing beats a UCF Win, singing the Alma Mater with the cheerleaders, the football team, and the fans. Seeing everyone smiling and cheering all together is the best feeling in the world.

C: With people always calling your name and asking you for pictures, does the fame ever get overwhelming?

K: The fame is what I live for! I always try to get around to every man, woman, and child knight that calls my name. Sometimes the days get long from sticking around, but I try my best to meet each and every one of them so no one goes home disappointed.

C: What is one thing you think all UCF students should do before graduating?

K: Do I have to pick just one? Good. Here’s my top 3: 1) Take a picture with me! (I’m not a narcissist, I’m just the best) 2) Take a picture on the Pegasus in the Student Union before they graduate in their cap and gown. 3) Go to Spirit Splash and the homecoming game! That is a dynamic duo almost as iconic as me and Citronaut!

C: If you could say one thing to every UCF student, what would it be?

K:  Make the most of your time at UCF. UCF has the ability to change your life in so many ways and everyone in Knightnation wants to see you succeed. Meet new people, make new friends, create lasting memories, and most important of all leave your legacy! Be proud of who you are and wear the UCF Like a badge of honor. You deserve it. In the words of one of my biggest fan, Knight Fan Stan, “Every day is a great day to be a knight!”

Photo Credit: 1, 2, 3

UCF Contributor