Meet Mastermind Mike LB Crummell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Mike LB Crummell, also known as “LB” is a mastermind. He is a UCF student majoring in interdisciplinary studies with a minor in event management. From a very young age, LB always loved taking things apart and putting them back together. At age 15 he built his very own computer from scratch.

“My mom was looking for a different career field, and she received a certificate in computer engineering. She taught me how to build a computer,” said LB. According to LB, he was able to go on the internet and use his computer for music purposes.

In the eighth grade LB started taking taekwondo and found that he truly enjoyed it. After high school he moved from Miami to Orlando. In Miami LB participated in wrestling, and was fast for his size. He knew that when he moved to Orlando he wanted to engage in something active, so he started jujitsu. There was a national fight coming to Orlando, and LB would be participating. When the time came, LB was ranked number four in the world in Brazilian Jujitsu.

“I didn’t expect to be good,” said LB. “I still have my medals, but I never fought again after that.”

Now that his fighting days were over, LB focused on his true love, music. In the 10th grade, LB attended teen parties every Friday and Saturday night. One night, he noticed that the disc jockey had nothing but two portable CD players and a mixer.

“I remember thinking, he’s getting paid to do this,” said LB.

He had a decision to make. He was either going to pay to party or get paid to party. He decided on the latter. LB’s mother was always his biggest supporter. She bought whatever he needed to make his music. He asked his mom for a $150 loan, and bought a $50 mixer and a $100 PA system.

He recorded his first song in the 8th grade titled “One Red Rose” for his mom. His mom was playing it in her office one day when her client mentioned that her husband had a Latin Record Label. They offered LB a record deal at the age of 14. He soon found that the deal was bad, and that the label wanted all the production credit.

LB’s older brother put up the money, and they decided to make their music independently. It was at the age of 16 that LB started his first business which would become known as “Living Legends”.

When he was younger, LB’s mom would drive the family to her dreamhouse in Palm Beach every weekend. His mom saved up the money for the house, but when LB lost his football scholarship due to an injury, his mom put the money towards LB’s education.

At the age of 20, LB received his degree in audio engineering and entertainment business at Full Sail University. LB still has the blueprints of the house in his closet as a daily reminder to keep pushing.

“I won’t stop until I can get her that house.” said LB, “I hope I can mature to be that selfless, but until then late nights and early mornings.”

This past Fall, LB partnered up with Dear Tatiana and went on an independent tour called “The Holdover Tour”. They stopped in Orlando, Tampa, Gainesville and St. Augustine.

“I’m a road junky,” said LB. “On the road you can’t hide or run away, you’re forced to open up to yourself.”

By the time the tour reached St. Augustine, LB was exhausted. He wasn’t looking forward to the show. It was close to Thanksgiving and he was ready to get back home to his family. He would soon find that it was his favorite stop of the entire tour.

According to LB, the crowd showed nothing but love. One of the songs he performed was called “For Your Inspiration”. The song is about a close friend of his who committed suicide. The purpose of the song is to remind anyone who needs to know that they are never alone.

After the show, an audience member approached LB and told him that he had just lost his dad a year ago. LB’s song was just what he needed to hear, and spoke to how he felt.

“This is why I do this.” said LB, “It motivates me to continue speaking whatever comes to my heart; my lyrics are more than just lyrics that people can dance to or quote.”

“The music I play determines if you have a good time, and I love that reaction,” said LB.

Today LB is a proud member of Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. He continues to focus on his many businesses. Among his many businesses are “Stepmasters”, a private step consultant company, “Dream Image”; an image consulting/ fashion design company, and “ENPregame”; an internet radio station.

LB has found his calling. For those who are struggling to identify their calling, LB says don’t be afraid to fail.

“ People are so afraid of what other people might say.” said LB, “ You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take, so shoot for the moon. “

In the words of LB, “If you take enough losses, eventually the losses will make a win. The win isn’t because you took so many losses, but because you learned from your mistakes.” 

Alexis is a junior print-digital journalism major with a minor in business. She loves snickers, writing, dancing, and collecting elephants. Her favorite movie is Dirty Dancing and thinks the Minions are adorable.Alexis is a writer for Her Campus at UCF and a Southern Regional Journalist for her sorority Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. In her spare time Alexis loves to watch Netflix. She aspires to start her own magazine.
UCF Contributor