Long-Distance Relationships: How Far Is Too Far?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

LONG-DISTANCE RELATIONSHIPS SUCK.

There isn’t any other way to sugar coat it. You have to resort to calls, texts, emails, and Skype. You see each other twice a month at the most, and you always feel incredibly guilty for going out with your friends at night.

Scenario:
You’re at a party and you meet this incredibly cute guy. You start engaging in mindless flirting until you realize you’re falling for this guy, and falling fast. Towards the end of the night, he asks for your phone number and asks to see you again tomorrow. As you punch your number into his phone, he drops the bomb.
“Oh, Samantha, I’m heading back home to Colorado next week.”
Well there you go, now would be ideal to disappear into thin air. But honestly, what would you do?

Some argue on both sides of the issue. In my opinion, it really all depends on three elements going on in your life. For instance:

1. How old you are
  2. How many states away (if any) are you from your partner
  3. How long you both have known each other

If you’re over the age of 18, then it could work. If you’re still in high school, get over yourself. You’re still a baby and don’t even know what makes a real relationship yet. Take advantage of your naivety.

If you’re in a different time zone, that could pose a problem. Especially when trying to get in contact with one another. I’m not saying it’s an absolute no-no, however I’d really reassess how much this person means to you, because different time zones is a pretty big commitment and stretch. It’s also important to figure out if you or your partner is planning on relocating in the near future. That way you can figure out if you’re willing to wait that long.

If you’ve only just met your new boy-toy, I really wouldn’t suggest starting something. HOWEVER, if you both continue to communicate with one another, it could be a sign of how committed your partner is to you and how badly they wants to make it work. If that were the case, then I would consider something more.

On the other side of the spectrum, if the two of you both lived in the same state and started a relationship, but then relocated for college or a job or something of the sort, that would be an entirely different story. I would whole-heartedly agree in trying your best to make things work.

At the same token, it’s really your decision.  If you think you are not missing out on life by constantly trying to justify your relationship to yourself and others, then go for it. 

Nina DeSarro is a senior at the University of Central Florida, pursuing a degree in Communication with a minor in Magazine Journalism and Sociology. She is the Assistant Editorial Director for UCF's HC chapter, and has been an avid Feature writer since her freshman year. Within her varied group of friends, she’s known as their “relationship guru,” specializing in the male/female dynamics. She is also an active member and former finance chair for her sorority, Alpha Epsilon Phi. In addition to being an avid writer, she can usually be found “plugged-in” with Dave Matthews Band streaming. Her ideal world is filled with Cosmo magazines, Vanilla Lattes, Sex and the City, Louboutin’s, and anything glittery. Her goals include, living and working somewhere in the North East for a television or magazine agency.