Living Spontaneously

Posted -

I’m a huge proponent of planning every detail of a day, week, trip, or lifetime. With planning, comes great responsibility, yet it’s an activity that calms my nerves and gets me excited and organized for what’s to come. It gives me time to look ahead and see what resources I need and I what I will hve to accomplish in order to achieve said goal. Yet recently, I have been exposed to the complete opposite, which happens to be spontaneity.

The fear of the unknown has always held me back from doing things “for the hell” of it, yet starting about six months ago, I decided, to heck with it, and began living in a new way. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t through my organization out the window, I just reevaluated and opened myself up to new adventures.

These spur of the moment decisions I have been making have been some of the most exciting and memorable ones to date. I’ve been able to live life in a new way and makes so many new friends throughout the process. I have been able to set up last minute vacations and travel to new destinations. I have been able to go to Disney world within an hour of the idea popping into my head. I have been able to change my look up with a short trip to the hairdresser instead of months of stressful planning.

Spontaneity has taken the stress out of dealing with time constraining activities. It allows you to make decisions on the spot, and follow through with them immediately. It eliminates the endless deliberating that eats away at your soul. It allows you to have unconditional fun in the moment. In every moment.

I love planning because it eliminates the consequences of things going wrong, but I have learned to love living my life spontaneously because not everything requires a heavy decision.

As long as one learns to live a life full of balance and happiness, they will live one of success.

All photos taken by author.

About The Author

Lena is currently a sophomore at the University of Central Florida, and serves as HCUCF's social media director and event coordinator. She is studying hospitality in hopes of making her childhood dreams of getting paid to travel the world come true. She is head over heels in love with all things aesthetically pleasing, so what could be better than working  a job that will result in cute photos? While shes not in school or cheacking out the tacky tourist attractions around Orlando, you can find her spending more money than she has on concerts, clothes, and crappy coffee. She is a lowkey movie addict and a highkey Instagram addict. If you want to see what she's up to when she's not hiding behind her laptop screen, you can follow her on Instagram @lena.daniels 

Editor's Note

Are you an aspiring journalist or just looking for an outlet where you can share your voice? Apply to write for Her Campus!

User login