This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

My competitive soccer career has been over for awhile now, but I don’t think I’d be as strong as I am today if I hadn’t grown up playing soccer. Although I learned how to train to be in incredible physical shape, the most precious gift soccer gave me was mental toughness. I wasn’t aware at the time the vital life lessons soccer taught me so young, but looking back I can appreciate every moment. This chapter of my life has ended; however, I think a thank you is in order for all the important life skills the beautiful game gave to me.

How to be a team player 

Before I had to deal with co-workers, I had to deal with teammates. Not every girl I played with was my best friend, and honestly there were times when I felt like an outsider on my own team. No matter what the situation was I always tried my best and learned to put my emotions aside and play for the team and not for myself. It sounds simple, but sometimes people lose sight of the importance of being united and are quick to follow their own personal agendas. When you go that route you end up holding yourself back. Put your judgments aside and have faith in the people around you, and great things may happen.

Discipline

Preseason trainings were tough, and there were many moments when I didn’t think I could keep going- but I did. When I did slack off I could feel it during a game, and it affected my performance. Short cuts won’t work, even if you have natural talent. 

I never had free weekends, I always had at least one game or a tournament. Even over the summer I went to multiple soccer camps where I played day in and day out. I guess I missed out on some fun things ‘normal’ teens did, but not having as much free time makes you value it and make the most of your down time. The long night practices after a full school day seemed like a chore at times, and now I can’t imagine spending those evenings any other way. Hard work really does pay off.

Rejection

Sometimes giving your all still isn’t enough. Not making the best team can feel similar to not getting the perfect job you were hoping for. I remember pinning a number on my shorts during soccer tryouts and feeling like I was entering a life or death situation. I always played my absolute best during tryouts. My dad would ask why I didn’t play that way all the time, but in those hours I was working for something I wanted more than anything. I made a great team some years, and other years I was left the field feeling hurt. Regardless of how a tryout turned out, I never stopped playing and loving soccer.

Luck isn’t always on your side

Soccer is an unpredictable game, and the better team doesn’t always land on top. From bad referees, to lucky goals, you never know what’s going to happen when you step on the field. As long as you can come out of a situation and understand that doing your personal best is all that matters, you can be at peace. Holding on to bitter feelings doesn’t change a situation either, it’s better to accept and let go. Life isn’t always fair, you just have to deal with the hand you’re dealt with. 

Never give up on yourself

In soccer, every second counts. You can’t give up when there’s two minutes left in the game, because those are the most important. Life will never go exactly as planned, so you have to persevere and realize that bad moves you make don’t define who you are. Your willingness to push forward and keep going even when it hurts shows your true character. When you do that, the possibilities are endless and you can accomplish more than you ever imagined.

Thank you soccer for showing me that it’s worth the fight, and that I still have time to succeed. 

Photo credit: 1,2,3,4,5

Jade is a junior Radio/Television major with a coffee addiction and may marry a bagel because she loves them so much. She's just your typical sorority girl that idolizes Beyonce, loves being by the ocean, and sharing Jimmy Fallon and Justin Timberlake videos on Facebook because they are friendship goals. Jade loves cheering on her Knights, you can find her at every UCF home game. When life's a mess Jade wants to remind you that you can just pretend you're Olivia Pope and handle it. 
UCF Contributor