Let’s Get Crafty: 6 Ways to Re-Purpose Mason Jars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

If you take a scroll through Pinterest, you’d find thousands of “DIYs” and “Ways to Use” the versatile glassware known as the mason jar. Who knows where the undeniable urge for vintage décor came from, or why they suddenly filled our cupboards and windowsills, providing just the right hint of rustic charm.

Here are five ways to utilize and beautify those leftover mason jars lingering somewhere in our homes. Repurpose old ones holding pencils or flowers using the ideas below!

Mason Jar Cozy

This article from the Free People Blog shows the perfect way to transition those mason jars everyone’s collected over the last year from the warmer weather to the wintery months.
This mason jar cozy is so easy to make and it’ll protect your fingers from hot glass. All you need is the jar, a piece of fabric (try using an old sweater or scarf), scissors, a measuring tape, a needle and thread.

Dream Jar

It’s never too early to start thinking about your goals. Free People’s dream jar is a mason jar filled with all the lovely little trinkets that symbolize the goals and dreams you have for the year’s end. Start collecting items for your dream jar today!

Anthropologie Knock-off Mason Jar Sewing Kit

Every gal should have a sewing kit— and know where it is— for those fashion emergencies when a button comes loose or a seam rips apart. Put one of those spare jars to good use by giving that sewing kit shoved in the back of your junk drawer a good home. If you don’t have one yet, pick one up from the dollar store or Target and follow these directions to have your very own Anthropologie-like survival kit, but without the price tag.

Reusable Mason Jar To-Go Cups

Save money on water bottles and coffee cups and help the environment with this one! All you need are the mason jars you’ve been hoarding the last few years, a hole punch, some grommets and some straws.

Check out this blog for the simple instructions to make your own adorable, eco-friendly to-go cups!

Sweet Receipt Organizer

Get organized, free up space and hold on to those (possibly) important receipts all at the same time with this sweet little receipt organizer from And Then We Saved. Make your own version with the jars you’ve been collecting;

Up-cycled Coffee Cup

I’m a big fan of upcycling my old jars from anything and everything— pasta sauce, olives, pickles, etc. — and giving them a new like as upcycled coffee cups. It’s an eco-friendly way to have your coffee fix as often as you want. Bring them on the go filled with coffee and refill at the shop rather than get a paper cup.

Don’t have any mason jars? Other types of jars will work just fine for these craft projects. Head to your local dollar store to pick up all sorts of cool-shaped containers.