The Joys of Going Out to Eat Alone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Going out to eat alone– a concept most of us college students avoid like the plague. But once you get over the preconceived idea that everyone is judging you for being “just 1,” dining alone is quite enjoyable.

First of all, getting seated is a breeze! If you go out with a group sometimes you’ll have to wait forever to get a table, but when you’re alone it’s easier to accommodate you. And if the restaurant doesn’t have an available table, you can always grab a seat at the bar.

Once you’re seated, the seat across from you automatically becomes a footrest. A footrest you can use without apologizing when you accidentally touch your friend with your foot. Just please, please, please keep your shoes on!

Now, one of my favorite benefits of dining alone is you don’t have to share the bread. All that glorious free bread you get before the meal, its all yours! This also applies to dessert if you choose to treat yourself afterwards. No more fighting over who gets the cherry!

As for the entree, order whatever you like because you don’t have to share. You don’t have to keep in mind that your best friend is deathly allergic to peanuts or that if you have garlic and onions your breath might ward off more than just vampires. Being alone gives you the freedom to be bold and adventurous with your food choices.

Also, keep in mind there is no one there to impress, so although proper table manners are encouraged, you don’t have to be so ladylike when you eat those chicken wings.

Another great thing about eating out alone, you can people watch without feeling bad for ignoring the person you’re with. Watching the on goings in a restaurant can be pretty entertaining. Especially if you add your own narration (just not out loud or people will think you’re a crazy person.)

If you do want to ignore those around you, because you still think its awkward being one instead of two, eating out alone is a great time to get work done. I’m writing this article during a nice quiet lunch alone at California Pizza Kitchen. Most places have free WiFi and outlets, so bring your homework and enjoy a meal while you work. Just make sure to be polite and pause whatever you’re working on when the waiter is talking to you.

Finally, when the check rolls around there is no awkward “who’s going to pay” conversation. Plus, it won’t be twice as expensive because you’re only paying for yourself. Your wallet will thank you!

If you’re still a little skeptical to the idea, you can start off small; try a restaurant where you don’t have to be waited on like Chipotle or Panera. Then you can work your way up to the sit down restaurants like Olive Garden or Chili’s.

So next time you’re about to decide against eating out because you have no one to go with, think about all the great benefits of dining alone. No one will judge you for going out to eat by yourself and if they do it’s because they’re afraid to do it themselves. So don’t settle for Jimmy Johns when you really want to go to Macaroni Grill; go treat yourself to a nice meal. Be confident in the declaration of your party number; “just 1” is just fine!

Catherine is a senior at UCF majoring in Advertising and Public Relations. Catherine enjoys painting, singing along with the radio, and sipping on chai lattes. In her spare time you can find her doodling on her hands with Sharpies, and watching Quentin Tarantino films. She loves fashion, interior design, penquins, and over-the-knee socks. Follow her on Twitter- for random thoughts about Publix and life- and Instagram -for pictures of her roommate's cat and some great looking food: @catienicoled
UCF Contributor