This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

A present every month is how I would describe it. Play By Sephora is just one of the many makeup subscription boxes that have come out on the market. A subscription box is a service you sign up for where every month you receive a box filled with items, in this case makeup samples, catered to you. I have always wanted to subscribe to one because as an avid makeup collector, lover and investigator I got so excited to the possibility of receiving different samples to test out each month! When it came down to deciding which to sign up for, I decided on Sephora because I liked that I would know all the brands of the products I received. These boxes cost $10 dollars each month, and when you sign up you take a personality quiz so they can fill the box with samples for your likes, skin tone, and preferences.

I was so anxious to receive my first box that when it arrived I tore through the packaging with the minimal strength I have. What laid before my eyes was a cloth bag with a cute design on the front to show the theme of the box. Each month the design is different as is the theme. I dumped all the products out and that is when my heart sank a little. I would say I was a little disappointed because I thought there would be maybe a little more glamour. The products were tinier than I anticipated, and over all, it gave off no wow factor. However, I pushed past my initial reaction and went through the products one by one to see what they were for. A helpful tool that comes with the box is a little roadmap for the products which tells you what they do and how to use them. For a beginner in the beauty world, it would definitely be useful. The box included a GLAMGLOW Supercleanse Clearing Cream to Foam Cleanser, SMASHBOX Photo Finish Primer Sizer, LANCOME Cils Booster XL Super-Enhancing Mascara Base, CLINIQUE Pep Start Eye Cream, ALTERNA HAIRCARE Caviar Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner and FRESH Rose Floral Toner. I got a little bit more of the hype back when I saw some brands I recognized. The next morning I sought to test out all the products. I have been trying these products for a little over two weeks, and my final verdict on this box is in: it was refreshing having all these new things to test out, but I didn’t quite feel it was worth the $10 price tag. Sure, I did think some products were great, like the GLAMGLOW Cleanser and FRESH toner, but I really wish you got a little more product in each sample. The issue with the size is I can’t come to a conclusion if I like the Smashbox primer or not. It is miniscule, so whenever I apply it I try and use the tiniest amount to not waste it, but I find that clouds my judgment. It was a good variety of hair, skincare and makeup with quality high-end brands. Also the purpose of these boxes is just to test them out, so am I wanting too much more than it is? Now if you’re looking for a definite answer, then no, I don’t think it is worth $10 dollars. Will I keep my subscription? Yes, because I love the experience of trying these new products. Although the products may have not wowed me, I think I wouldn’t try half of these products if it weren’t for this subscription. Moral of the review is if you enjoy trying new products just go for it, but by no means is this necessary for everyone.

Laura is currently a Senior at the University of Central Florida studying Business and Professional Communication. She loves everything to do with organization and trying to keep her life on track. She is a coffee addict thanks to her Colombian roots. When she is not studying she enjoys playing with makeup and obsessivley shopping for home decor. 
UCF Contributor