This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

There’s no telling of where to get fashion inspiration. Most of the time, you’re probably inspired by your favorite musicians or celebrities, other times, you’re inspired by a random person on the street. I always find it fascinating to think of where those people were first inspired and further down to the point of a long chain of people serving as inspiration for one another. If it’s not confusing yet, just think of your own favorite artist and the sources of their musical roots. It’s probably not in this decade but instead in the cultural movements of another time and place. One of the last major fashion movements took place in the U.K. and you’re probably more familiar of its fashion influences than you know: punk. Of the most powerful women in the rising ’80s English punk, one has carried it even to this decade: Siouxsie Sioux.

Born as Susan Janet Ballion, she had an unusual childhood. Her father died of a liver disease and she herself was faced with a life threatening disease at a young age. She was a lonely person who spent her time listening to Iggy Pop and David Bowie, eventually meeting others who shared her musical interests and curiosity in glam rock fashion. Visions of outrageous clothes, edgy hairstyles, makeup and platform boots became more frequent when she dropped out of school at 17 and immersed herself in gay disco culture. It was around this time that the Sex Pistols formed and the “Bromley Contingent” arised (AKA the Sex Pistols super-fan group with Siouxsie being one of them). The group was devoted to going against the norm for the heck of it and by doing so, popularizing the punk rock fashions they created.

Siouxsie was one of the leaders in the punk movement along with Soo Catwoman and Pamela Rooke (Jordan) however, she became a local icon in the London club scene for her fetish and bondage attire with goth makeup. As DIY became more popular, she began looking into making her own music rather than following others. When a television appearance with the Sex Pistols went wrong and Siouxsie’s name appeared all over newspapers, she distanced herself and focused on creating her band, Siouxsie and the Banshees.

Their first single released in 1978, Hong Kong Garden, instantly reached the top 10 in the UK. That same year, they released their debut album, The Scream, hailed by NME as one of the best debut albums of all time. Her music was in a word: fun — a completely new take on the stereotypical punk music being created. Her style strengthened and took charge as their creative fuel and their music flourished with success. Her clothing revealed what she felt inside; powerful and reinvented. She commented that punk was “…one of the first looks and attitudes to come along to empower women… [she] felt so powerful and strong walking out on the street and nothing frightened [her].” Her dramatic styles proved that there were many kinds of women, not all feminine in the way you would imagine.

Her style still included bondage attire (lots of leather and sheer fabrics) and she ventured out into men’s suits and baggy graphic tees. All the while, she kept her bold makeup and spiked hair to create the iconic look she’s known for. During her most successful years, she highlighted feminist concerns while conveying an androgynous appeal to challenge fashion. Today, she still sports colorful catsuits and crazy makeup. Her contributions for music have been awarded with the Outstanding Contribution to Music Award at Q Awards and the Inspiration Award at Ivor Novello’s. She is considered “one of the most influential British singers in the rock era” and a definite fashion icon.

See her fashion in action in two of my favorite songs: Happy House and Red Light