ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ethan robertson SYx3UCHZJlo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Survive Summer Orientation at UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Summer orientation: two days of what seems like eternal tours, speakers, and paperwork standing between you and the next four years of your life. While orientation may feel like a needless chore to most, it is an exciting and essential experience that every UCF student must endure before truly becoming a Knight. In order to help you through (what we hope is a fun first glimse at your new home), we have compiled a guide from our own personal experiences to make sure your orientation is the best possible. 

1)     Do not look like a train wreck 

While the idea of going back to school may have you torn between wanting to break out some cool fall fashions or crawl back into your pajamas, at summer orientation it is better to put a little bit of effort into how you look. We know, it is hard enough having to actually leave the house, let alone try and maintain some level of attractive-ness in the summer heat, but keep in mind that you will have to take your student ID picture during orientation. Nothing is worse than having to live with a “less than ideal” headshot (you know, the one that is seen by that cute guy who swipes your ID at the gym) for your entire college career.

2)     Bring a jacket

Half of your orientation will be held in the Student Union, which gets very, VERY cold. Bring a jacket so that you will be comfortable going from indoors to outdoors without too much difficulty. This way, you will also have a hood incase it starts pouring down rain during the middle of your campus tour. YAY FLORIDA!

3)     Carry a large lightweight bag

Various clubs, offices, and other UCF affiliated services are going to be handing out promotional stuff left and right while you are on campus. While you will be equipped with a very snazzy UCF Orientation swag bag, we suggest bringing another lightweight tote to hold all of your belongings that will not get too heavy during the long days. This way you can keep everything organized without having to sacrifice comfort.

4)     Download the UCF app

There is nothing more terrifying than being told to go to a building to meet up with your O-Teamer and having absolutely no idea where it is. Instead of worrying about having to break out a compass to make sure you are going the right way around our campus of concentric circles, download the UCF app to help direct you to the right place. It is easier than having to search for a map on campus and may save you a little embarrassment.

5)     Do not sign up for anything without fully understanding what it is

Heed this warning: lots of opportunities will be presented to you at orientation, and all of them may not be beneficial. Read the fine print before registering or signing up for anything, whether that may be a new organization or a dining plan, to ensure that you are not going to be held responsible for anything you are uncomfortable with. The last thing you want is to be taken advantage of, financially or otherwise, in the euphoria of open possibilities.

6)    Be friendly to everyone

I know you have heard it before, but you never know who you are going to meet during your summer orientation. Whether it may be a future boyfriend, a future best friend, or a future professor, it pays to be nice to everyone and make the best out of the situation. Going to college means a fresh new start, and the easiest way to adapt to this big change is to accept it. So have fun, do not stress, and CHARGE ON!

Welcome to UCF :)

(photo credit: http://orientation.ucf.edu/images/orlando-campus.jpg)

Zoe is a junior at UCF studying Radio and Television with a minor in Business while she waits for her long lost grandmother to tell her she is actually the Princess of Genovia. She loves musicals, photography, waterskiing, and tricking people into thinking she is well rounded. In her spare time, you can find her speed walking around campus attempting to dodge as many longboards as possible. Follow her on Instagram or Twitter @causeimazoe if you're interested in learning about her oh so advenurous life.
UCF Contributor