books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

How to Practice Self-Care During Finals Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

College is hard. We can all agree on that, especially with exams right around the corner. Studying is an important aspect of finals season, but so is self-care. Making sure your soul and body are healthy before cramming information in your brain is important for your health but also for your sanity.

With self-care, a lot of people don’t know where to start. What to keep in mind is that self-care is a personal thing, and it is basically taking time for yourself to do things that relax you and make you feel good.

So, some ways to practice self-care during exam season are:

1. Avoid procrastination as much as you can.

This is an obvious and of course not the most relaxing idea, but it will help you in the long run.

Trying to do some easy homework assignments ahead of time not only gives you more time to study for exams, but also keeps your stress levels low when those due dates come around.

And making a study plan to manage your time also allows you to have that stress free for pampering.

2. Get a good night’s sleep.

Everyone always says that it is important to get a good night’s sleep, but it is extra important during exams.

With a rested mind, your brain is able to retain more information, which helps avoid blanking on tests.

A way to help get adequate sleep is, as everyone knows, to turn off electronics an hour or even two before you go to bed. That hour is the perfect time to start your routine.

Whether your routine consists of skin-care, meditation, music or reading, designating this hour purely for “me-time” is essential to reading your mind, body, and soul.

3. Take periodic study breaks.

When you are actually in the midst of studying, try and take periodic breaks. This gives your mind a chance to process all the information it just learned.

Personally, going on social media distracts me to an extent that I can’t resume my studying. Instead, I practice violin, go for a walk, or watch an entertaining video pertaining to the topic I am learning.

4.  Incorporate joy into studying.

I know that sounds insane, but let me explain. If a certain type of music makes you happy, play it in the background! If tea or coffee boosts your energy, make a cup and sip on it while reading your textbook! If being outdoors gives you joy, study outside!

The options are endless and all depend on a person’s personality. So, whatever you do, make sure it is something you enjoy and will help you power through exams!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Nicole is currently a junior at UCF working towards a B.A. in Human Communication. Besides writing articles and managing the Her Campus social media, Nicole loves to practice violin, watch an unhealthy amount of La La Land or organize her Vogue magazine collection. One day she hopes to attend the Met Ball, the Oscars and Paris Fashion Week. A few of her favorite things are, fresh flowers, foamy cappucinos, writing in her planner with cute pens and Christmas time. 
UCF Contributor