How to Get Noticed at Career Fairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

I am forever thankful to UCF for planning amazing events that allow students of all majors to connect with future employers for internship and job opportunities. If you’ve been to a career or internship fair this school year, you’ve probably seen all six feet of me bouncing from table to table, connecting with recruiters and making it rain résumés and business cards. It took some time for me to become totally comfortable at fairs, but with the help of a lot of friends (and Google) I’ve learned how to not only successfully navigate internship fairs, but really stand out. With fair season quickly approaching, I know a lot of Knights are preparing to head out and network. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced fair-goer, my tips are sure to help you stand out at the next internship or career fair!

1. Show Up With a Huge Group of Friends

Picture this: you walk into Peg Ballroom, arm-in-arm with your BFFs. You’ll surely impress potential employers with your ability to roll with the baddest squad in the 407. The crowd of students will part as you strut Mean-Girls style toward the flashiest table in the room. They say your network is your net worth, and giggling your way from employer to employer will certainly prove your ability to make close connections with your peers.

2. Wear Comfortable Clothes

Business casual, business professional, casual business professional… Why such pageantry? You’re not trying to win Miss Universe, you’re trying to get a job! Why would a social media manager, camera woman, or electrical engineer need to wear a well-fitting suit? It would be pretty weird to show up to work on an archeological dig wearing a modest pencil skirt, so why not wear what you would for the actual job? They say to dress for the job you want, and you want a job that allows sweatpants in the office! The comfier your clothes, the better. Your dress is a form of personal expression, so show employers who you really are!

3. Put On Your Tallest Heels

Sometimes it is hard to get noticed in a crowd, so why not tower above the competition? Not everyone is blessed with supermodel height. Assess your shoe situation right now. Toss aside those modest ballet flats and two-inch pumps! You’re playing in the big leagues now. A six-inch heel with a hefty wedge should be the required minimum height. Besides the added height, staggering around like a newborn giraffe is probably as professional as a walk can look. Worried about comfort? Don’t be. If you followed the advice above, the rest of the above advice should put the rest of your body in such a state of relaxation that you won’t notice your numb toes. If heels aren’t an option (it’s your career on the line here), I recommend your most sparkly house slippers.

4. Don’t Smile

This is serious business time. In the animal kingdom, baring teeth shows aggression and is threat. Do you want to scare of potential employers? Absolutely not! Smiling can also show weakness. Stay strong. Don’t smile. You don’t want to be seen as threatening, weak, or worse… Friendly. Plus, a smile might reveal a little bit of salad stuck in your teeth. Better to just hide behind a subtle smirk.

5. Slump and Cross Your Arms

You’re going to need to channel your inner April Ludgate on this one.  Nobody likes an eager beaver, so let your posture reflect your inner angst. Bonus points if you can avoid all eye contact.

6. Leave Your Résumé At Home

The reality is that we live in a very wasteful world. Look around and you’ll see coffee cups, cigarette butts, and discarded pamphlets littered across the campus like tumbleweeds. Landfills are taking up prime real estate on our beautiful planet. Climate change is real! What better way to show you care than abstaining from printing résumés? Most recruiters will look at a résumé for less than ten seconds before discarding it. Not only are you saving yourself time by not printing out résumés, you are saving our planet! The best way to give recruiters what they want is to write your social media handle (@maddieghammond) on the back of their hand with a Sharpie. Memorable and not wasteful, yes please!

7. Above All: PLAY IT COOL

I hate to break it to you, but the real world is a lot like high school. Only the popular can succeed. If you aren’t cool, fake it ‘til you make it! Enthusiasm is lame, passion is weird, and intelligence should be disguised.

There you go, ladies, seven ways to really stand out at a career fair! The catch? These are ways to stand out in a bad way. Please do not follow any of this advice. Dress professionally, stand up straight, and be prepared with résumés to hand to each recruiter. First impressions are incredibly important, and career fairs give us the chance to make great ones. Grab your most sensible heels and suits, I’ll see you at the fairs soon!

Maddie is a senior Marketing major at UCF. When she's not writing for Her Campus or her personal blog, you can find her hanging out at Fashion Club or in OSI working on the Mr. and Miss UCF shows. Despite popular belief, Maddie isn't actually the tallest girl in the world. If you're wondering where you've seen her before, it was most likely at a #UCFBusiness event. Maddie enjoys loud pop music, scented candles, and any food with sprinkles on top. She often discusses the SNL cast as if it is a sports team, and likes to pretend that this is endearing. Follow Maddie on Instagram and Twitter! 
UCF Contributor