Her Story: I Met My Boyfriend on Twitter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Finding love at first can happen in many different ways. Sometimes it is love at first sight, or after being friends for a while you decide to date, or a friend set you two on a date. But for me, it happened in the strangest way, but a more common way for millennials. My boyfriend of three years had slid into my dm’s on twitter.

I was a junior in high school when this happened, and I had just gotten over a really bad heartbreak. This guy had treated me so bad we were not even dating, and I decided to swear off boys for a while after that whole situation. A month later I get a message from a guy saying “hey :)” on Twitter. When I received the message I thought it could be three things, he wants my homework even though I had no class with him, wants something sexual, or maybe he actually wanted to talk to me.

Surprisingly I did not think he would actually want to talk to me because I personally like to plan for the worst. So after taking the time to do my background check on him, and asking my friends if I should respond, I had made the decision to take the risk and answer him. I said hi back and freaked out immediately. We started talking about school, we went to the same high school, but I had absolutely no idea who he was, and he was one year older than me.

After that, we exchanged numbers, kept talking, went on a few dates and that is when we began dating. Now although we go to different colleges we have been so happy together and dating for over 3 years.

When people ask us how we met I was kind of embarrassed to say that we met because he slid into my dm’s. But now I think it is something that takes a lot of courage to do. If you think someone is cute and you are interested to take the risk and slide into their dm’s because you never know what could happen.

Don’t expect to find to find your future husband on Twitter, but something amazing could come out of it and you would never know unless you take a risk.

Before you slide into their dm’s make sure to get some background info, now don’t go gathering their social security number and such but see what kind of stuff you can find about them just to ensure you are not talking to a complete stranger and that way you have something in common to start talking about too.

I think social media is a great way for love to happen, if you are embarrassed to talk to that cute boy in class you can just message him on Twitter or Instagram if you know his name. It makes taking the risk to talk to someone a lot easier, so do not wait around for love to happen go ahead and slide into that person dm’s. It is cuffing season so take action if you want someone to snuggle with over the holidays before the semester is over.

Kelsey is a sophomore at the University of Central Florida majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. She loves coffee, cats, and the city beautiful Orlando. She hopes to be a reporter for the White House someday. You can find her exploring Orlando, or snuggling with her cats watching Netflix. 
UCF Contributor