Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards Winner: Meet Mishka Brice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This is running series featuring the winners of the inaugural Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards! Her Campus UCF set out to acknowledge the amazing and inspiring female leaders on the UCF campus and share their stories.

Name: Mishka Brice 

Major: Journalism 

1. Tell us about yourself! Where are you from, what are your hobbies, favorite things ect. 

I am from West Palm Beach in South Florida. In my free time I like to take Zumba classes here at UCF or volunteer. Also, I LOVE anything Breaking Bad. I’ve re-watched the entire series six times—it’s my favorite show of all time. I also like to binge new Netflix series with my twin brother. 

2. What organizations or groups are you involved with on campus, and how did you become involved with them? 

I’m involved with the UCF chapter of She’s the First which is a non-profit that sponsors girls’ education in the developing world. She’s the First provides community, leadership opportunities and a sense of global citizenship. Our chapter holds bake sales and various fundraisers throughout the year to raise funds that will go directly to the scholarships for the girls. I joined this organization my freshman year in 2015. I found out about them through one of the club tabling events in the Student Union and have been a proud, active member since. I whole heartedly believe in the importance of education and more importantly, ACCESS to education, so I love everything this organization stands for. I served briefly as Secretary in the Spring Semester of 2017. 

I am also involved in the Student Ambassador program at UCF Undergraduate Admissions. We basically serve as the ‘student ambassadors’ of campus, giving tours to visiting high school and middle school groups and families looking to become future Knights. I just recently became involved with this program this semester and I have quickly come to love everything about it. Being able to meet different people and share insight into how UCF has made such a huge impact in my life has been very rewarding. I love seeing the enthusiasm of prospective students or future Knights because I remember being in that exact position a little over two years ago. It’s also a great feeling to work with people who share the same enthusiasm for the job—they really make me excited to go to work. I take a lot of pride in this job. 

Outside of UCF, I have recently been selected to join the Young Professionals Board of Harbor House of Central Florida. This subcommittee to the Board of Directors was created to promote the works of Harbor House and become leaders in the community through collective action such as volunteer service, social fundraising and advocating for survivors. We just had our first meeting the other day and I’m really excited to network and make an impact with other professionals who share the same passions and interests in the fight to prevent and end domestic violence. I also just recently finished up my internship at the Office of the Mayor in the City of Orlando as the Press, Public Relations and Digital Communications Intern. I gained so much valuable experience from this internship about communications and local government, and it was humbling to work alongside and learn from such passionate and motivated people who truly care about the City they live and work in. It inspires me to carry that same heart and dedication with me into my future endeavors and career. 

3. Why did you decide to come to UCF? What do you enjoy about the campus? 

This is the number one question I get asked on my tours, and I always say that funny enough, it was because of the size of the university. Many people are very intimidated by the size of 66,000 students—and I mean who wouldn’t be—but that’s what attracted me to come here. The bigger the school meant the more opportunities and resources there were at hand. And Orlando is such a central city in the middle of so many potential opportunities and so many kinds of people so I really admired that about UCF because it was a reflection of just that. And even though we are a younger campus compared to most Florida schools, I really appreciate the modern architecture and facilities here. I just see opportunity around every corner here every day. It was my first choice school and it forever will be.  

4. What are you passionate about? 

As I mentioned before I am BIG on education. I believe education and opportunity are the keys to empowerment and tools to success. I am also passionate about human rights, gender equality, poverty alleviation, media relations, government and international affairs. 

5. What women serve as your personal role models? 

Though cliché, without a doubt my mother. She is the epitome of strength clothed in compassion and perseverance. I always founds that the best way to inspire others was to lead by example and she has done exactly that for me in my life through her role as a mother, wife and as I like to call it, ‘boss lady.’ She has never let the odds beat her and she has shown me that you can overcome and achieve anything you put your mind and heart into. Negativity and nay-sayers are just the fuel to the fire. I can be unstoppable and achieve my dreams regardless of any obstacles that come my way because my mom has shown me that absolutely anything is possible—and I could not be more grateful to her for showing me that every single day. 

6. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I hope to see that everything I have been working hard towards pays off. My biggest goal is to create change, whether that be through informing others through communications or making public policy in government myself. I just hope that all of the time and money invested me from family, friends and mentors who have supported me every inch of the way comes to fruition. Most of all, I hope to see myself continuing to live a healthy, happy and successful life and to look back at what I have achieved and where I stand in that moment in time with pride. 

7. Lastly, what advice would you give to women who want to empower other women?

First and foremost, believe in yourself because when you lead by example you can empower others. Then, let your passion be the fuel to your fire. You can do anything from there. 

UCF Contributor
Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together.