Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards Winner: Meet Madison Buettner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This is running series featuring the winners of the inaugural Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards! Her Campus UCF set out to acknowledge the amazing and inspiring female leaders on the UCF campus and share their stories.

Name: Madison Buettner

Major: Experimental Animation

1. Tell us about yourself! Where are you from, what are your hobbies, favorite things ect. 

I am an Experimental Animation Major with a minor in Creative Writing, Computer Science, and Art History. As an art major, I, of course, love to draw in my free time. I am working on a special piece close to my heart. It has taken a long time, but I am excited to see the whole thing when it is finished. Some of my favorite things to do in my free time are, writing and photography! Even though I do not currently have a professional camera, you can see my stopping in the middle any place I am, to take a picture! I’ve always loved the arts ever since I could remember, especially when I was little. My family has all of these images from when I was younger drawing or taking pictures or even writing some silly little song.

2. What organizations or groups are you involved with on campus, and how did you become involved with them? 

Currently, I am involved in two different organizations. One is Omega Phi Alpha, which I joined in my Sophomore year at UCF. Omega Phi Alpha is a national service sorority whose main focus is on service. My sisters and I throughout the semester will volunteer with different organizations in the Orlando community. I joined the organization because I love to volunteer and make a difference wherever I am, and now I am my team’s captain for Knight-thon, which is truly amazing! I am excited to see what my team can do for our local Children’s Miracle Network Hospital: Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children this year! I am also involved with Kappa Pi International Art Fraternity. I am currently the President of this organization and founded it as well. I loved joined OPA, however, I also wanted to join an organization in which people who were pursuing the same field as me could help each other out. I checked to see if UCF had an Art fraternity but eventually found out that they did not and after further research, I came across this organization and petitioned to make a chapter at UCF. I got a lot of students who reached out, including s faculty member who wanted to bring this to UCF also. We eventually put in the application to get a chapter to UCF and we did! This Fall semester was our first semester and we are still trying to become an RSO so it has been difficult getting started but I have faith that this organization will be able to come together and not only be able to help us as artists better ourselves but help the University Community as well. I am excited to see what this next semester has in store for us!

3. Why did you decide to come to UCF? What do you enjoy about the campus? 

When I was first looking into colleges, I knew what I wanted to do with my life and I knew that I wanted to stay in Florida. I originally did some research to find which were the top schools in my field in Florida and UCF was one of the top Universities. Eventually, my high school (at the time) went on a college tour of four colleges: one of which included UCF. As soon as I stepped foot on the campus I knew it was the right one for me. After the tour, I was determined to get into the University and here I am now, living the dream! I love the whole dynamic of this University. I feel like there is so much character here, especially with how beautiful the campus looks.

4. What are you passionate about? 

I am passionate about making art and making people happy! I love art, and I would never trade that for the world. Art is a way for people to express themselves, no matter the form. I want to create an environment in which, people who feel lost suddenly feel inspired! Ultimately, if I end up getting my dream job, I will use the money I make to create a foundation for Foster children and Orphans that give them the opportunity to thrive. This organization will allow them to have access to the arts: drawing, music, theater, dance. I want to give them equal opportunities.

5. What women serve as your personal role models? 

My grandma is one of my biggest role models. I always aspired to be like her when I was younger. She never treated anyone differently for any reason, she always was nice to those who were so nasty to her. More importantly, she never let anyone tell her that she couldn’t do anything. She is such driven as women and I wouldn’t want a better role model than her.

6. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

In ten years, I see myself working on Special Effects for Marvel movies; this is my ultimate goal.

7. Lastly, what advice would you give to women who want to empower other women?

If you want to empower women, go for it! In this society, women are put down too often. We are constantly being told that we can’t do something because we are women and that we have to look a certain way because we are women and when we don’t meet up to those standards, we are shamed. True is, there is nothing we need to be ashamed of! We shouldn’t let people tell us what we cannot do, truth-be-told, we can put anything that we put our minds to. Tell women that no matter what obstacles are up ahead, that they shouldn’t give up. Tell them not to let others opinions bother you or keep you from doing what you want to do.  It doesn’t matter what other people think, because in the end, what matters is that you are truly happy with your life and your own choices. Be your own favorite person, love yourself no matter what, because you are beautiful and you should never let anyone tell you otherwise. 

UCF Contributor
Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together.