Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards Winner: Meet Desiree Dominguez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

This is running series featuring the winners of the inaugural Her Campus UCF Female Leadership Awards! Her Campus UCF set out to acknowledge the amazing and inspiring female leaders on the UCF campus and share their stories.

Name: Desiree Dominguez

Major: Engineering 

1. Tell us about yourself! Where are you from, what are your hobbies, favorite things ect. 

I was born in Miami, FL, and has Dominican ancestry. My hobbies consist of dancing, cooking, and volunteering. My favorite things are animals(especially huskies) and classic cars.

2. What organizations or groups are you involved with on campus, and how did you become involved with them? 

I am involved with the McNair, EXCEL, and NACME program on campus. I came across these programs by researching for programs that help with higher education in engineering.

3. Why did you decide to come to UCF? What do you enjoy about the campus? 

I decided to come to the University of Central Florida because it was close to my home town and because of the opportunities that the University of Central Florida has for its engineering students. I enjoy the atmosphere of the campus and the local wildlife. 

4. What are you passionate about? 

I am passionate about helping people. During my free time I volunteer at a local school to encourage young students to pursue a STEM degree.

5. What women serve as your personal role models? 

The woman that serves as my personal role model would be my mother, who has sacrificed a lot for my brothers and I to succeed. Also, women professors at UCF inspired me to receive my PhD some day.

6. Where do you see yourself in ten years?

I see myself with my PhD, teaching at a University to become tenured.

7. Lastly, what advice would you give to women who want to empower other women?

The advice that I would give to women who want to empower other women is to never give up on your goals, no matter the circumstances (i.e. health, criticism,  relationship). Do not let anyone tell you that you cannot succeed your goals because no goal is too crazy to reach. 

UCF Contributor
Jillian James is a senior at the University of Central Florida. She is majoring in Writing and Rhetoric and minoring in Mass Communication (because apparently you can’t minor in Beyoncé studies). Her favorite food is free because she is a college student and the two loves of her life are Ben and Jerry (of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream fame). If she’s not writing or reading she is probably watching The Office or waiting in line at Starbucks. She loves to show off her dance moves in “inappropriate” places like the grocery store. You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Jillianrosej, where she frequently posts things that make people think that she has her life together.