The ‘Friends’ Guide to Gifting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

The holidays are almost here, and you know what that means: it’s time to start shopping for the perfect gifts! I love gifting as much as the next person, but it can definitely be a challenge to decide on the best presents for everyone you know. Luckily, I have the perfect guide to doing just that, featuring that group we all wish we were apart of: the Friends! It’s a scientific fact that everyone is similar to at least one of the Friends, so what better way to decide on the perfect gifts for your Real Life Friends?

Rachel

The Rachel in your life loves to shop. They’re fashionable, funny, and sweet. They also have amazing taste. It might seem like you have pretty high standards to meet when picking out a gift for this friend, but don’t freak! Get them something that matches their personal style and they’ll love it for sure. Have they been wearing a lot of maroon lately? Pick out a wristlet or purse that matches their look!

Ross

We all know a Ross. They’re a bookworm, they’re a scientist, or maybe they’re obsessed with dinosaurs. You can’t go wrong getting them something that appeals to their intellectual side. Think of what they’re interested in and get them a book about the subject, or be a little more creative and subscribe them to something they’d like. Better yet, take them to a science center or museum!

Monica

Oh, Monica: the mom friend, the type A, the “bossy” one. We all love the Monica in our life, probably because they’re the one keeping you sane.  As a Monica myself, I can tell you exactly what we like: cute stationery, tech accessories, and *gift cards* (we like to pick things out for ourselves). If a gift card seems a little impersonal to you, stick to practical gifts — especially anything involving organization.

Joey

Your Joey friend is the lovable, silly one who always wants to go out to eat (who doesn’t?) and loves sports more than life.  A great gift would be anything related to their favorite team, especially if you can get them the jersey of their favorite player. Another good idea: bake them something! If you know their favorite treat, they would love that more than anything. 

Phoebe

This one’s a toughie, because your Phoebe friend is likely a little hard to pin down. They’re eccentric, so get them something unique. For example, if your Phoebe is a music junkie, get them their favorite record! You might also want to think about taking them somewhere as a surprise, like a music festival. Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box!

Chandler

Chandler is your friend who puts up a pretty solid front of sarcasm and self-deprecation, but deep down they’re really a softy. They would love anything that appeals to their sense of humor – consider combining a sentimental gift with an ironic gift for maximum appeal. Your Chandler friend is also low-key into self-care (especially relaxing baths), so you could totally go that route too

Janice

OH. MY. GAAAAWD: A BONUS ROUND! Do you have a vaguely obnoxious friend who tends to pop up in your life at inopportune times? Hopefully not, but if you do, just get them a candle. Trust me — you can never, ever go wrong with a candle.

Hopefully, this gifting guide helps you out when you’re shopping for your friends. If you’re still in need of ideas, check out the Her Campus Holiday Gift Guide!

Nicole is a graduate of the University of Central Florida with a Bachelor of Arts in advertising/public relations, a Bachelor of Arts in political science, and a minor in writing & rhetoric. She has been involved with Her Campus for four years and served as the editor-in-chief of the UCF chapter for two years. She's a lover of 80s music, horror movies, and the Oxford comma. If she's not hanging out with her cat, Stevie — named after Stevie Nicks for obvious reasons — she's probably at a theme park. If you want to follow her on social media, you can find her on Instagram, Twitter, and at her blog: nicoleelisabeth.com!