Dr. Chung Park – Director of Orchestras and String Music Education at UCF

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

As UCF Celebrates the Arts comes to a close, it is important to note and acknowledge those who play a fundamental role in its upbringing. While event planners and stage staff are vital in these two weeks, our educators are the reason we have the tremendous art students we have in the first place. Without them, these students would have no guidance, no mentors to motivate them through times of hardship, or to appreciate their impressive, fundamental artwork. In order to truly appreciate our educators here at UCF, I decided to get to know one of them. Here is Dr. Chung Park.

Tell me about yourself!

I started teaching at UCF this year. Before UCF, I was teaching at Appalachian State University, and before there I was at Idaho State University. I went to Graduate School at the University of Miami, so I am no stranger to Florida. My Undergrad was at the Peabody Institute in John Hopkins University, in Baltimore. I am originally from Chicago.

How did you decide you wanted to be a music educator?

Seeing other people perform at a really high level was a great influencer. I looked up to my high school music and English teacher quite a bit. After a while, they were the only reason I was in school. They were both really effective teachers, and they believed in the power of what they were doing. To this day, my high school music teacher is the most amazing musician I have ever met or work with, better than anybody at the university level. He was amazing, and I wanted to be like him. If I was not teaching music, I would probably be an English teacher. The only times I felt at home were reading a book or playing an instrument.

The UCF Orchestra performs on Friday. How have you been preparing for that?                 

The process has been difficult. Patrick Doyle (known for composing for movies such as Brave, Hamlet, and Eragon) enjoys writing very complex music. This was only completed a week before we got it. But we were driven to give a professional performance. The students here at UCF have stepped up to the plate, and I am proud of the work they have done.

Would you say this concert will be your favorite?

Probably not. Our repertoire for our concert in February was probably my favorite. At that time, we had come together as an orchestra. We were a cohesive unit.

Are you assisting anywhere else for UCF Celebrates the Arts?

I will be conducting the Opera on Thursday and Sunday.

What has that been like, preparing for the Opera?

I love working with singers, they are my favorite to conduct. Everything we do on our instruments, is us trying to sound like singers. I love all the moving parts that go along with singing. There are a lot of great, young singers at UCF.

What do you think UCF Celebrates the arts does for UCF?

This event assists with our visibility issue. People do not know we exist. But they do now, and they will. If we continue with this event, and being at this level, we are going to be a huge destination for the arts. And we should be the destination for the arts in Central Florida. People do not know what we are capable of. Having Hans Zimmer and Patrick Doyle back to back for the same event is not an easy task. People did not even know there was an Orchestra at UCF. But because of this event, they will.

When you talk about visibility and being a destination, do you mean by future students? Or by the community?

We need to start off with the community. We need a community support, whether they are UCF alumni or not. The community support gets us the help we need. Anywhere you go, the arts is a small town. If we get the community to notice what we are doing, we grow. And the students will follow.

A lot of students studying within the college of Arts and Humanities have trouble feeling validation with their major, and their future. What do you have to say to those students?

Overall, the best way to spend your life is to spend it doing what you love. Money is not always something to worry about. There needs to be a reality check here. We live in the richest country in the history of the world. No matter what, you will find a way to put food on table. While you may not have all the material things in the world, this comes with a trade-off. Material things come with 70 hour work days, and time spent away from family. Life is all about trade-offs. I would not trade being around people who understand what I am doing. I would not trade my life for anything. When it gets tough, you have got to hang on, and when the fire is about to go out you have got to cup your hands around it. Believe in yourself. 

Photo credit: Main Image, Image 1, Image 2

Natalia is a proud latina, and a Senior at the University of Central Florida. Majoring in Interdisciplinary Studies, with a double minor in Mass Communication and Mass Collective and Culture Behavior, she hopes to eternally study the World for all its' features. An old soul and a child at heart, some of her favorite things include flowers, her 3DS, cheap paperbacks, 80's sitcoms, drag queens, and nifty scarves. Always practicing mindfulness and balance, Natalia dreams of a picturesque beach, with no clouds in the sky and a perfected Spotify playlist. Keep on Keepin' on. 
UCF Contributor