Did 13 Reasons Why Come Out At a Wrong Time?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at UCF chapter.

Throughout your social media timelines, workplace, and nearly any environment; you’ve somehow found yourself exposed to the latest binge worthy series. It’s the show you cannot hear enough about- 13 Reasons Why. The book turned streaming phenomenon has received an abundance of praise. However, just like the series stresses, everyone has their own truths.  

13 Reasons Why depicted many harsh realities for adolescents. It exposed very relatable and timely issues that the upcoming generations face and issues that prior generations couldn’t break. Everyone has a story to tell. This show told the stories that aren’t so popularly told. Ironically enough, these unpopular stories belong to a populous amount of real people who all deserve to be heard. For that reason, this show will bring a lot of good. I applaud the intentions; however, no matter how hard I try I cannot say that I recommend the show.

Even though 13 Reasons Why broke barriers as a television series, the stories the show entailed are not so much unpopular these days. Our society has been facing tumultuous times. There has been so much pain lately. After finishing 13 Reasons Why, I was left feeling somber and almost empty. The shows purpose was to remind us all to think twice before treating someone a certain way. But instead I was just reminded of all the sad things in the world. I don’t need a TV show to let me know that individuals can be taken advantage of when intoxicated. The Brock Turner case reminded me of that. I don’t need a TV show to remind me that Bullying can go too far, the suicides of two of my high school classmates and the shooting of Trayvon Martin reminded me of that. My point is, lately we have too often seen many of the issues portrayed in the television show, right before our eyes. Which causes me to think the show just came at the wrong time.

Perhaps it came too late, can you imagine what the world would be like if 13 Reasons Why the series came out 7 years ago? Would we have had the bliss of being exposed to these unpopular stories on television, instead of on our streets or in our homes?  What if 13 Reasons Why premiered too early or too soon? This TV show opened many wounds, some that weren’t quite done healing yet.

Only thing certain is that in this painful time, our society needs a lot of love and a lot of brightness. Although it is crucial to be mindful of things, we must keep moving forward. I hope there is a second season of 13 Reasons Why to stress that manner. This is a time where our society needs hope, and that was something the first season terribly lacked. 

PC:Liz Shannon Miller at IndieWire

Cescely is studying Health Service Administration at the University of Central Florida. She aims to make a difference by personally reducing hospital errors. Cescely has a knack for politics, popular culture, sexual equality, and nutrition. Some of Cescely's favorite things include the month of December, writing poetry, and feel good music.
UCF Contributor